X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles O'Bannon Jr.

Is he really not good enough to get any minutes? He admittedly did not look good against Fullerton, but still.

We almost lost the game. Not a good game to experiment IMO

Comment

• sirdogz
      sirdogz commented
      Editing a comment
      I mean there is a difference between experimenting and playing a guy a few minutes when the rest of the team is struggling. At half-time, Aaron and Mathews were a combined like 0-4 shooting with 4 turnovers. Surely O'Bannon couldn't have been worse than that.

• TroyD
      TroyD commented
      Editing a comment
      Aaron's defense and Matthew's big shots saved us in that game and you're complaining? O'Bannon looked lost against Fullerton's third stringers. Rewarding Aaron for playing defense when his shots aren't falling is a good thing IMO. We have a lot of guys to jack up shots. The thing that will take this team to the next level is defense and rebounding.

He’s a freshman with lots of veterans in front of him. He’s not going to replace Elijah (duh) and Shaq has way more experience at this time. So, no, he will get very limited minutes this season.

Comment

• sirdogz
      sirdogz commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya I expected limited minutes, but I didn't expect zero. As I mentioned above, both Mathews and Aaron were brutal in the first half. I figured O'Bannon would have at least got a run there. Regardless, it's pretty incredible that we have a top 50 recruit who is legitimately not good enough to even get on the court.

Maybe he and Victor still need time to learn the zone defense and offense. Usher's probably earning his in practice with hustle though he has made mistakes as all freshmen do, love the effort though. Once the coaches trust Chuck's grasp of the basics he'll get in more, Thornton and Aaron were also highly regarded top 50 recruits who know the schemes, so I doubt he expects to leapfrog them this year.

Comment

The biggest hurdle for these "super frosh" to get over when they get to this level is learning how to play within the team construct. In high school they were the man. At this level everyone was the man in high school.

Comment

Chuck is going to need to take this year to sulk in as much experience as he can and work on other aspects on his games besides scoring. He has the makeup to be a solid defender and rebounder, he just has to apply himself in those aspects. During his brief showing vs CSUF, he did look timid and a bit lost but that's expected. Jordan Usher is getting more minutes as a true freshman because of his energy. He'll be OK. Should have a breakout sophomore year if he continues to develop. Great pure scorer.

Comment

Aaron's defense and Matthew's big shots saved us in that game and you're complaining? O'Bannon looked lost against Fullerton's third stringers. Rewarding Aaron for playing defense when his shots aren't falling is a good thing IMO. We have a lot of guys to jack up shots. The thing that will take this team to the next level is defense and rebounding.

Comment

amazing that there is such interest in O'Bannon getting PT. A friend that I share tix with is so concerned about this. Is it because of the last name? I have to feel that the coaches know why he's not in the rotation. Imo If he was a knock down shooter he would be in there and they could live with freshmen mistakes. However from watching HS highlights and watching him shoot against CSUF it looks like he isn't.

Comment

• TroyD
              TroyD commented
              Editing a comment
              Shiny new toy mentality. O'Bannon did not show he looked ready at all against CSUF's third stringers.

I think its a sign of how much more talented we are now than we used to be. A couple of years ago, O'Bannon would have been a starter from day one. But, with the talent we have on the roster he gets to learn the game gradually and not be thrown into the fire. Hope he doesn't have a bad attitude, but instead can use the practice time to improve all aspects of his game.

Comment

Originally posted by G4sc View Post
              amazing that there is such interest in O'Bannon getting PT. A friend that I share tix with is so concerned about this. Is it because of the last name? I have to feel that the coaches know why he's not in the rotation. Imo If he was a knock down shooter he would be in there and they could live with freshmen mistakes. However from watching HS highlights and watching him shoot against CSUF it looks like he isn't.
              Not sure we should take anything away from the game against CSUF with regards to Chuck's performance. Perhaps just 1st game jitters. At the 2 spot, USC , just has better more experienced players in front of him. Thornton, Matthews, Stewart and when Melton gets back, will be a tough rotation to crack. Jonah just needs to develop a consistent outside shot and his minutes will increase even more. In my opinion, right now, he's SC's best on ball defender and he gets in there on the glass rebounding. Melton is considered a "swiss army knife", however, Jonah, isn't too far behind. COB just needs to make sure he's mot going too fast trying to adjust to the D1 level of the game. Which unfortunately, Aaron, still hasn't figured out.

Comment

He's also our first McDonald's All-American in about a generation. It'd be nice if he didn't get disgruntled.

Comment

Originally posted by chaseinmanhattan View Post

He's also our first McDonald's All-American in about a generation. It'd be nice if he didn't get disgruntled.
                  I don't agree that he should play just to keep him from being disgruntled. It sends a bad message to the rest of the team.

Comment

Yes he was a MickyD AA but really just a 4 star recruit. I always say there are 2 types of MickyD AA....1) the ones that go to Kentucky and 2) everyone else...He looks to have potential but is the low man on the totem pole right now....

Comment

Yes he was a MickyD AA but really just a 4 star recruit. I always say there are 2 types of MickyD AA....1) the ones that go to Kentucky and 2) everyone else...He looks to have potential but is the low man on the totem pole right now....
                      good point. But he played really well in the Adidas Nations then again looked very average vs Sierra Canyon during the Nike X. He has a bit of a way to go. Skillset is there. Confident our staff will develop him during the course of his time as a Trojan. MB3 would’ve been nice....haha

Comment

You're are right Cabrillo that MB3 would have been nice but somehow I gotta believe that he wouldn't have been eligible to play here. At Duke yes...USC no..that's just how the NZAA and MEDIA works. They won't question a Duke, UNC, UCLA , or Kentucky when it comes to basketball. However, if SC gets ONE McDonald's AA every 10 years, like an OJ Mayo, they must be doing something illegal. I just knew MB3 would be eligible at Duke this season even though as late as mid August he hadn't even graduated from high school...

Comment

Working...
                        X