X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There will be more schools involved in this VATrojan94

Comment

Originally posted by VATrojan94 View Post
      But we lose the players for sure, right? Love Bland, but we've got to cut him loose asap if we feel this is a pretty iron clad case. Wish a few more schools were involved. It definitely helps deflect some. And the reality is, this goes on all the time. It's just that people aren't caught very often.
      First off, thanks for Chase for covering. I've relayed some of your snippets to discussion on 247.

Second, to VA's question--there's a notable precedent with Cam Newton and Auburn where Cam was cleared to play because 'he didn't have knowledge of his father's wrongdoing' in collecting hundreds of thousands of dollars in pay to play money. The NCAA obviously does not work under any code/precedent, but it's worth noting. Also, the sums in question are EXTREMELY nominal, and USC could be proactive in getting the families to reimburse them (ie 'self-sanction' by firing Bland and making amends with the two relevant infractions).

Comment

Season was just too good to be true. First off, I don't think SC is on probation anymore. I could be wrong, but that was seven years ago. Bland has to go, and the players ineligible until investigation complete like Jeff T and the Escalade. Full cooperation with NCAA. Really don't have a leg to stand on when the FBI arrests your assistant coach.

Comment

Originally posted by USCJohnMac View Post
          Season was just too good to be true. First off, I don't think SC is on probation anymore. I could be wrong, but that was seven years ago. Bland has to go, and the players ineligible until investigation complete like Jeff T and the Escalade. Full cooperation with NCAA. Really don't have a leg to stand on when the FBI arrests your assistant coach.
          Not to be too pollyannish, but at least this team is deep. It may affect 2018 recruiting, but that remains to be seen.

Also, as far as USC is concerned, we dodged a bullet. Bland's allegations amount to taking $13K in bribe money, and paying $4K and $5K to a players' family members. Pretty innocuous, in the scheme of things.

It really sucks to lose a great coach and great recruiter in light of the fact that he's throwing away a million dollar salary for $13K of juice. What an idiot.

Comment

Well, hope SC is proactive here and not sit on their thumbs like they did when Mike Garrett was at the helm. The fact that so many schools are implicated might be our only saving grace. It could either shake the whole college basketball/AAU recruiting world or it can be something where everyone gets a minor infraction. My only fear is that the NCAA always has a hard on for SC

Comment

Originally posted by 1troydoc View Post
              Well, hope SC is proactive here and not sit on their thumbs like they did when Mike Garrett was at the helm. The fact that so many schools are implicated might be our only saving grace. It could either shake the whole college basketball/AAU recruiting world or it can be something where everyone gets a minor infraction. My only fear is that the NCAA always has a hard on for SC
              I can see this outcome possibly come to fruition. It all depends what else the FBI has on other companies. This was just ONE agent in the grand scheme of things, maybe this forces the NCAA's hand to no longer have any of their Coaches take part during live event periods (which is another MONEY GRABBER).

Comment

Originally posted by cabrillo_jaguar View Post

I can see this outcome possibly come to fruition. It all depends what else the FBI has on other companies. This was just ONE agent in the grand scheme of things, maybe this forces the NCAA's hand to no longer have any of their Coaches take part during live event periods (which is another MONEY GRABBER).
                We're talking about 9 thousand dollars in a case unrelated to the larger nuclear scandal (Adidas). I think we dodged a huge bullet here, and may come out relatively unscathed. It will suck to lose a good coach and recruiter, though.

Comment

Based off this, no chance Tony Bland is retained. Unbelievable. Hoping he was acting alone on this....

https://twitter.com/shotgunspr/statu...17687893061632

Comment

Originally posted by cabrillo_jaguar View Post
                    Based off this, no chance Tony Bland is retained. Unbelievable. Hoping he was acting alone on this....

https://twitter.com/shotgunspr/statu...17687893061632
                    Doesn't the tweet imply that he had prior opportunities but he didn't take them? It seems we're still talking about $5K + $4K here. We're lucky this isn't happening in 5 years. Bland got caught as soon as he put his hand in the cookie jar, which is good news for USC.

Comment

As long as it takes SC Lawyers to verify the info is as long as Bland has at SC.

Comment

Does anyone know how much the Arizona and Oklahoma State coaches took?

Comment

Can't see a sports professional throwing away his career for a lousy 13k.
                          But there is no question that whoever is involved should be punished.
                          Those involved should be fired immediately.

Cleanup should start right away.
                          Hopefully, this was a personnal matter and did not involve the team.

Comment

• swamdog
                            swamdog commented
                            Editing a comment
                            From reading the reports, I highly doubt the 13k was going to him. He was taking that money and taken care of the families of certain players. My guess is if he lured certain players to sign with an agent is where the payday became extreme, especially if a player turned out to be a star in the NBA.

What a major disappointment. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but even if this doesn't seriously impact USC's basketball season I always feel like it is a poor reflection on the university. Sad that Tony Bland threw away what would have certainly been a multi-million dollar coaching career for such small potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by 1troydoc View Post
                            Does anyone know how much the Arizona and Oklahoma State coaches took?
                            It appears the Oklahoma State Coach Evans took $2,500, and the Arizona Coach Richardson took $20,000.

Comment

I just got finished reading the indictment, or at least the parts relevant to Bland. And it's easily weakest against Bland. As Chase said in a different post, the US Code Section at play here is not at all meant to cover this sort of indiscretion (though it is an indiscretion). This is a clever way to criminalize acts that have been previously alleged against others and never criminalized.

If I were still a defense lawyer, I'd be thrilled to take this case. The University was not "benefitted." Tony Bland certainly was (acting outside the course and scope of his employment and necessarily so). Tony Bland received $13K so that he could convince two student-athletes to use an agent when the time was appropriate. The dollars that "went" to the families are outside of the jurisdiction of the court -- the $4K to a player identified by others as Melton because it does not exceed the minimum set forth in the U.S. Code. The $5K to the freshman because it is not even alleged in the complaint that the funds were actually received by the family. In a strange bit of pleading, the entire complaint ends in a paragraph where $5K intended for the family is changes hands and a prospective meeting is discussed (not involving Bland). But no factual allegation that the $5K ever reached the family is made.

I don't mean to excuse Bland. What he did was outside the rules of the NCAA and the University. He should (and will) be fired in an instant. He should not, however, be criminally prosecuted. For reasons of fundamental fairness and due process.

Comment

Working...
                              X