X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good win for the guys...

Withstood a good shooting performance on the road, clamped down on defense at the end, made crucial free throws. Vandy's a decent team. Not sure we win the game at this stage last year. Enfield really shortened the rotation in the second half.

Big Win for USC. Vandy is a well couched team. I only saw the last six minutes of the game plus all of overtime (didn't know where the SEC channel was!) but during that spell McLaughlin and Metu were the main players for us (Boatwright had fouled out). We have a tough preseason schedule, this was a good win.

Comment

Box Score

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...119_USC@VANDY/

Comment

big props to Metu for 4/4 free throw shooting in the last two minutes to keep SC in the game

Comment

15-16 from the foul line won this game. When was the last time we shot free throws like that on the road?

Comment

Yes 15-16 from the line! And BBoats was the lone miss! And only 6 turnovers! Good numbers.
            speaking of Boats, he was only 1-2 inside the 3. The announcer was very generous calling him a top player in the country. When he is chased off the three point line he does not attack the hoop. Metu and even JMac attack the hoop every chance they get. JMac is a prime example of a
            four year senior!

Comment

Vanderbilt shot 12 more free throws and 49% 3 pt'rs. Well played game we won with lack of turnovers, most of which were those questionable traveling calls

Comment

I thought the refereeing was pretty fair for a road game. They didn't miss any traveling on Vandy either. The refs did a really good job on calls late in the game and in overtime.

Comment

Originally posted by Marty46r View Post
                  I thought the refereeing was pretty fair for a road game. They didn't miss any traveling on Vandy either. The refs did a really good job on calls late in the game and in overtime.
                  My one big issue with the officiating was Vandy's use of off-hand forearms on offense. That is a real no-no, and Vandy got away with it all game.

Comment

Originally posted by chaseinmanhattan View Post

My one big issue with the officiating was Vandy's use of off-hand forearms on offense. That is a real no-no, and Vandy got away with it all game.
                    Yea I noticed that too, really allowed them to drive to the hoop. There was also a couple ticky tack body fouls that were really questionable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Marty46r View Post
                      He falls in love with the 3 point line. He should try to use the jab step more. He should try to model his game Dirk Nowitzki

Comment

Originally posted by chaseinmanhattan View Post

agreed. i was loudly yelling "call it both ways, blue!" much to the chagrin of the vandy faithful around me.

back to op...well, said, ted. we went down double-figures in both halves and the team did not show one ounce of panic. i was very impressed. we just re-grouped, ran our offense (good use of clock and ball movement, would be SO NICE to see this throughout a ball game) and calmly knocked down BIG shots to get us back into the game. i think the shortened rotation had a lot to do with this as well, especially late.

as for the defense, i was at the game and probably did a little too much pre-gaming so my memory is a bit faint but how many shot clock violations did we force? seemed like far more than usual.....

vandy moves the ball a ton but, as you mention, we really clamped down, especially late in the clock (save for the one bailout foul call that sent fisher-davis to the line with :01 left on the shot clock. i almost lost my mind....).

this was one of those wins that may not look like much come march to the box score reviewer (only time will tell) but the team will draw from this game all season. first road test, 2000 miles away, central time zone, six days off prior, sunday night, unique/historical concrete box of a gym in which the sound bounces off of the walls, multiple double-digit deficits, bennie fouling out, shooting 12 less free throws than the home team, getting badly out-rebounded, being down 3 with under a minute remaining, having to hit big shots late to tie, having to clamp down on defense to send the game in overtime....going to overtime on the road and scoring the first seven points. ADVERSITY.

again, good people, good times, great game, great experience.

we have lehigh up first but that sunday night game with a re-tooled A&M team is going to be a doozy. that's a top 10 team in my mind, not sure what pollsters are looking at. they are very balanced, big and can shoot. Along with Arizona, @ SMU and Oklahoma....one of the toughest games of the year and will play a big role come March.

FO!

Comment

• Mickey Linehan
                          Mickey Linehan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ken Pomeroy today has us at #14, Texas A&M at #8.
                          SMU is #24, Oklahoma is #21.

This is not a whole lot like last year's schedule.
                      Working...
                      X