X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The good and not so good from Vandy game

The Good:

JMac played a great game from start to finish. Good on defense, facilitated the offense, got aggressive and scored when they needed to. If the rest of the team can raise their level of play to JMac's consistently, then it is a final four team.

Team never gives up, and has confidence they can get it done

Big made FTs, and shot 94%

Metu was big at the end

Only six TOs

Ended up shooting 49%, and 46% from three

Not So Good:

At some point they have to be more consistent because you can't overcome 10 point deficits every game

Too much one on one/isolation. Only had 8 assists on 33 makes

The two issues that have been there since CAE came on board reared their ugly heads again, defending the 3 point line (48% for Vandy) and rebounding (out rebounded by 10, gave up 9 ORs to Vandy).

Key defensive breakdowns. The corner three comes to mind on an out of bounds under the basket, and when Aaron bailed on the drive by LeChance, who was his man, at the end and Stewart ended up fouling for a three point play, that should have cost them the game.

A win is a win, and that was a good win. The need for more consistent effort, better flow on offense, better rebounding should give the coaches plenty to talk about at practice.

The breakdown between Steward and Aaron on that drive by LeChance was frustrating to watch. It was a clear, lack of communication issue between the two of them. We typically switch and for whatever reason they got confused. Not on the coaches, however.

Rebounding is and will be our biggest issue. Really have to gang rebound and give an all out effort each possession. That said, my observation is that Metu and Bennie are rebounding their areas well, but they don't take up a lot of space or rebound out of their immediate area well. Not sure what is going on with Nick--poor start to the season for him. I hope he turns it around.

Defending the three is a challenge. Especially we are matched up with a team that has some very high-percentage guards. I like that we switch between man and zone to keep the offense guessing. Our zone has potential with our length, and the effort is usually there. But you do give up more offensive rebounds in the zone... In man, we're decent but our bigs are just average one on one defenders so they can get exposed a bit.

Love this team...love their heart...can't wait to get Melton back. Texas A & M game?

Comment

well said. the rebounding was a major concern, as aforementioned. that's why i really wanted j'raan brooks.....we need more of those "big sam" types...the 6'8" 225LB tweener that will bang and always seems to be around the basketball. vandy's "bigs" were putting a body on chimezie all game on both ends of the floor and metu didnt really assert himself until the last 10 minutes, when he used his quickness to his advantage. and at times it seemed like there were 6 vandy guys around the basket ready to rebound....

Comment

Originally posted by rocksteadyusc View Post
        well said. the rebounding was a major concern, as aforementioned. that's why i really wanted j'raan brooks.....we need more of those "big sam" types...the 6'8" 225LB tweener that will bang and always seems to be around the basketball. vandy's "bigs" were putting a body on chimezie all game on both ends of the floor and metu didnt really assert himself until the last 10 minutes, when he used his quickness to his advantage. and at times it seemed like there were 6 vandy guys around the basket ready to rebound....
        I am excited to see what Victor can do on the boards when the time comes

Comment

Originally posted by USCJohnMac View Post

I am excited to see what Victor can do on the boards when the time comes
          agreed. we may find out a little bit this sunday.....

Comment

A lot of good stuff in this thread. 11-13-8. That is our assists the first 3 games. Most really good/great teams probably will average 15 to 20 assists per game. Hit the nail on the head with the isolation.This team plays so much better when their sharing the ball. I know the coaches show them film of the Warriors. May be a good thing to watch that film again. Rebounding is never going to be the strength of this team but it is more than capable of holding its own. Hopefully Melton is back soon because he should help in that area. Roxy said it best about the defense lacking focus till the end of the shot clock. I would also add that the team just takes plays off on defense. I agree with him about ball pressure but hard to put pressure on the ball when you're sitting back in a zone. We're still fighting thru issues that plagued us last year but this team still found the guts to win. Really shows the character of this team to fight thru adversity and win in a tough environment.

Comment

Working...
            X