X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "He feels like the school has abandon him"

Melton's attorney. No surprise to anyone, SC has not handled this well.

Almost makes me miss Garrett. At least he would not just sit there like a spineless coward

Comment

Do you know all of the facts? I don't. Are you willing to sacrifice possibly the whole season for the team and our chance to go to the NCAA Tourney to placate Melton's attorney? The FBI basis for guilt or innocence is not necessarily what the NCAA will use to adjudicate the matter. Yes, I feel sorry for Melton if he is truly innocent and has no knowledge of a close acquaintance or family member taking money. But the team and school is trying to protect much more than one member. And they are trying to keep him part of the team while this matter is still being considered. Did you not notice he traveled and was on the bench for the Vandy Game? So he is not being ostracized but kept as much a part of the team as possible while this matter is sorted out.

Comment

well put, trojon

Comment

Originally posted by TroJon View Post
          Do you know all of the facts? I don't. Are you willing to sacrifice possibly the whole season for the team and our chance to go to the NCAA Tourney to placate Melton's attorney?
          I'd say we pretty much know the few scenarios.

1) Melton's family/friend took nothing
          2) Melton's family/friend took 5k and no one in Melton's family had any knowledge.
          3) Melton's family/friend took 5k and Melton had no knowledge.
          4) Melton's family/ friend took 5k and Melton was aware of the meeting.

USC should just assume #4 happened, declare him ineligible and then ask the NCAA to reinstate him. At that point, USC isn't risking anything.

Melton would not be the first player to receive impermissible benefits and the NCAA hands out suspensions for these types of issues all the time.

Comment

There were a lot of indictments for incidents involving a lot of players across the country. Most of them served a game suspension and are playing with their teams already. What’s the basis for Melton’s extreme handling, other than the usc admin doing what they often do in these types of situations: over-react?

Comment

Yeah, his attorney has been putting out the same narrative after every game De'Anthony is held out. Hope this is taken care of much sooner than later. The thick of the OOC schedule is on the horizon: Texas A&M, at SMU, then Oklahoma at Staples.

Comment

There has to be a reason why he feels “abandoned”. Seems like the other schools have taken some kind of action, while SC is being very passive. I don’t know jack, but it just seems to be deja vu all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by TroJon View Post
                  Do you know all of the facts? I don't. Are you willing to sacrifice possibly the whole season for the team and our chance to go to the NCAA Tourney to placate Melton's attorney? The FBI basis for guilt or innocence is not necessarily what the NCAA will use to adjudicate the matter. Yes, I feel sorry for Melton if he is truly innocent and has no knowledge of a close acquaintance or family member taking money. But the team and school is trying to protect much more than one member. And they are trying to keep him part of the team while this matter is still being considered. Did you not notice he traveled and was on the bench for the Vandy Game? So he is not being ostracized but kept as much a part of the team as possible while this matter is sorted out.
                  I did not say SC was doing the wrong thing, which is an open question. They are, however, not doing a very good job at whatever it is they are doing. It looks like they are making it up as they go along, and that is extremely frustrating.

Comment

Pay no attention to the lawyer-speak. It's standard rhetoric, like coach-speak but in reverse.

Comment

Originally posted by TrojanMindSC View Post

I'd say we pretty much know the few scenarios.

1) Melton's family/friend took nothing
                      2) Melton's family/friend took 5k and no one in Melton's family had any knowledge.
                      3) Melton's family/friend took 5k and Melton had no knowledge.
                      4) Melton's family/ friend took 5k and Melton was aware of the meeting.

USC should just assume #4 happened, declare him ineligible and then ask the NCAA to reinstate him. At that point, USC isn't risking anything.

Melton would not be the first player to receive impermissible benefits and the NCAA hands out suspensions for these types of issues all the time.
                      Here's the problem that I can see occurring:

1) Melton's family claimed they didn't receive any money so are they willing to pay back 5 grand that they allegedly did not receive?

2) If it's true that some other distant family member received the money and not his parents then does Mama Melton have an extra 5 grand laying around to pay back?

3) Going this route is admitting guilt which I'm not sure Melton's family and his lawyer would agree with
                      Last edited by TroyD; 11-24-2017, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Linehan View Post
                        Pay no attention to the lawyer-speak. It's standard rhetoric, like coach-speak but in reverse.
                        What do you mean it's lawyer-speak? As far as we know it's true, Melton seems to be in limbo right now. It doesn't sound like there's any time table and there has been no official or unofficial course of action expressed from USC to get this resolved.

Comment

Working...
                        X