X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Team just doesn’t have “it”

Texas A&M just works and hustles on the court way, way harder than we do.

Boatwright was a huge liability tonight, especially when Enfield mind-boggling took out Rakocevic for more really, really bad Boatwright play all over the court.

Way too many selfish players. Guys don’t hit the boards.

Candidly, we’re probably not a top 25 team, and won’t finish in the top 4 in the conference.
    Last edited by chaseinmanhattan; 11-26-2017, 09:57 PM.

We have a bunch of guys that jack up 3 pointers and Rac. If the 3 pointers fall then we can win but we can lose on any given night because the rest of our game sucks.
    Last edited by TroyD; 11-26-2017, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chaseinmanhattan View Post
      Candidly, we’re probably not a top 25 team, and won’t finish in the top 4 in the conference.
      Your overreaction game is in late season form!

Comment

• TroyAreaCA
        TroyAreaCA commented
        Editing a comment
        definitely remain in the Top 25 for sure (I'm guessing SC drops 6 spots). Hopefully TX A&M is a big quality loss (and few losses for that matter).

Originally posted by MeltonNotHelton View Post

Your overreaction game is in late season form!
      How much do you wanna bet we’ll be unranked within a couple weeks and rarely if ever return to the rankings this season?

Comment

• TrojanRecruit
        TrojanRecruit commented
        Editing a comment
        I will take you on it. We drop to around 15-20 on this loss. In the next two weeks, we face SMU (losses to Western Kentucky and Northern Iowa) and Oklahoma (blown out by Arkansas) and you are saying we will lose one of those two to drop out of rankings. I just don't see that happening. Regarding returning to the rankings, this Pac-12 conference is weak. We have easily the most talented and experienced team, we just lost to one of the best teams in the country. This is like saying our football team lost to Alabama, so we should just give up on the season last year (when we won the Rose Bowl).

We looked really bad but I think we needed that. It shows how far we have to go. ATM out hustled us and everything was going in for them. Hopefully, the guys will take this loss as a learning experience.

Comment

Whoa! Let's slow down - this team has a long way to go. But that Texas A&M team is probably the best team we will play in the regular season - think about that. I don't think there's any question they would beat Arizona and UCLA. As has been mentioned, Texas A&M is an elite potential Final Four team. This is the 3rd time I've seen them. We were hanging with them and tied 42-42 before they got hot and we made some bad decisions. This was a good learning experience - I'd rather take the loss now and have them learn from it, then to see a good team in March and the lesson be that you go home.

Comment

Originally posted by TrojanRecruit View Post
          Whoa! Let's slow down - this team has a long way to go. But that Texas A&M team is probably the best team we will play in the regular season - think about that. I don't think there's any question they would beat Arizona and UCLA. As has been mentioned, Texas A&M is an elite potential Final Four team. This is the 3rd time I've seen them. We were hanging with them and tied 42-42 before they got hot and we made some bad decisions. This was a good learning experience - I'd rather take the loss now and have them learn from it, then to see a good team in March and the lesson be that you go home.
          I also hope that is Bennie's worst performance. I totally want him, along with Metu, to be a legit NBA draft pick.

Comment

The unending human need to find someone to take the blame. Or how about this: A&M has a very good team. And they're hard to beat when you can't make any of the open shots you most want to get.

At least no one has yet tried to fire the coach.

Comment

We live and die by outside shots. When you shoot 28% from the field under 26% from the three but you can continue to hoist up three pointers as they shot 27 of them you can't win. Combine that with getting out rebounded by 13 and you have no chance to even compete.
              This USC may have some height but they are still undersized when you see the body types of some of the teams out there.Our big men get bullied around as they give up weight and muscle on the interior. USC's game is finesse and physical teams will have their way with them.
              Rac was huge and I don't understand why he didn't get more time? Matter of fact, he was the only USC player to shoot over 50%. Without looking at the numbers I's say that no one else even shot better then 30%. A&M's size was as big factor in stopping our offense as was our incredibly bad shooting. When you rely on a perimeter game you are going to have games like this.

Comment

the sky is not falling. nearly every college team has a game like this. sure, it's usually not at home after a few days off against a tired team...but A&M is not your average team. they are final four worthy. issue will be what we learn from this debacle.

as for usc, yes, i think our "stars" were watching the scouts more than their man at times. of course, that's hyperbole but how else do you explain the following shooting:

boatwright 3 for 13
                metu 5 for 14
                mathews 1 for 8
                mcglaughlin 3 for 10
                stewart 2 for 11

that is 11-for-56 from the core of the team. AT HOME. yes, A&M's length bothered a lot of shots but there were countless wide open looks from both beyond-the-arc and from 3-feet out that did not fall. the troubling thing was our response after the missed shots. worse defense in transition, less ball movement the next time down, one and dones after poor 3s or kamikaze attempts at the basket.

we got smacked and played desperate and dumb after getting punched in the face. A&M did they usual MO....played tough defense, killed us on the glass down the stretch, pounded usc in the paint, took good shots and pulled away late.

the better team won tonight. the question is....how will USC respond? this could be a season-altering loss....if the coaches and players respond in the right way. the next 2 games will definitely factor in to seeding in the tournament.

hoping benny plays a little more like rak next game, btw. heart, smart and effort on both ends instead of hero ball.

Comment

Hard to win shooting as poorly as SC did tonight, but I was pleased with the overall effort. Maybe it was nerves with all the scouts watching, but shots just didn't fall. Not to mention Melton is still out. USC only plays the Arizona schools once each this year, so I have a hard time seeing them not taking care of business with the rest of the conference. They're not going to go brick city every night.

I'd like to see the team improve shot selection against talented defenses like A&M. Too many contested shots where one more pass would have meant a much easier basket. The forced turnovers and travels were super frustrating too. It's obvious they don't practice their drives and post moves enough since they always forget their pivot foot. Should be second nature.

A lot of the issues are correctable, but this is a veteran team and I expect them to not make so many simple mistakes. Enfield and co needs to work on their out of bounds O/D as well. Fight on, beat the Mustangs!

Comment

Was at the game, they battled early on but when your outside shooting (team’s apparent strength) & questionable calls are going against you, then there’s no way you’ll be able to find your groove.

Not calling it an excuse, but that’s exactly what happened. Was also evident that TAMU was going to control the paint on defense with their size and athleticism. Robert Williams didn’t get going on offense but he altered a lot of shots and counted about 6 blocks. JMac got his way around and through the initial defender but Williams and Davis was there like a road block.

Very frustrated with Bennie. In a game where he has a chance to shine vs legitimate NBA players and I seen plenty of scouts in attendance, he fizzled and forced up a lot of bad shots early and often. DJ Hogg outplayed him in every single facet and lived up to being the ball stopper that he’s been labeled.

Tough loss, but as expected. They don’t Match up we’ll be an a team like TAMU. Lucikly, don’t see a team as girthy and imposing down low in the P12.

Had our perimeter shots fell (many of which were open looks), we prevail. Fight on!

Comment

It just amazes me how little Elijah Stewart has improved in 4 years at USC.

If he isn't making his 3's, he doesn't impact the game at all.

Comment

Originally posted by chaseinmanhattan View Post

How much do you wanna bet we’ll be unranked within a couple weeks and rarely if ever return to the rankings this season?
                        This is already a walk back from what you wrote in the previous post. But here’s my wager: I bet you any (reasonable) amount of money that usc will finish the season in the top 25 and in the top 4 of the PAC.

Comment

Originally posted by cabrillo_jaguar View Post
                          Was at the game, they battled early on but when your outside shooting (team’s apparent strength) & questionable calls are going against you, then there’s no way you’ll be able to find your groove.

Not calling it an excuse, but that’s exactly what happened. Was also evident that TAMU was going to control the paint on defense with their size and athleticism. Robert Williams didn’t get going on offense but he altered a lot of shots and counted about 6 blocks. JMac got his way around and through the initial defender but Williams and Davis was there like a road block.

Very frustrated with Bennie. In a game where he has a chance to shine vs legitimate NBA players and I seen plenty of scouts in attendance, he fizzled and forced up a lot of bad shots early and often. DJ Hogg outplayed him in every single facet and lived up to being the ball stopper that he’s been labeled.

Tough loss, but as expected. They don’t Match up we’ll be an a team like TAMU. Lucikly, don’t see a team as girthy and imposing down low in the P12.

Had our perimeter shots fell (many of which were open looks), we prevail. Fight on!
                          Totally agree. This was a pure shooting issue. Our guys are cold and have been cold all year. No team can have their top players shoot this poorly and win against a team of this caliber.

When you are a jump shooting team with this much depth, there will be maybe 2-3 of these types of performances all year max. The good news is that it’s highly likely that they’ll revert to their usual form and that, on the other extreme, we’ll have a few really hot games to help make up for it (and hopefully those come at the right time).

No need to panic. We weren’t going to go undefeated.

Comment

• sirdogz
                            sirdogz commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I will also agree. On a good night we shoot them out of the gym.

De'Anthony Melton would have gobbled up their guards as well. It'll be nice to have him back.
                        Working...
                        X