X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's one thing that can save this season

De'Anthony Melton. We badly missed him tonight.

I was at the Enfield pregame speechin Founders, he got a question on Melton, he made a pretty emphatic point it was out of his hands, Melton did nothing wrong, and he is a very important part of the team. Hopefully Swannie starts getting a few phone calls from the Cadillac crowd. It is just not the same team as last year, and the only difference is lack of Melton

Comment

Absolutely correct. This is not last year's team right now. JMac is the most important player IMO, but Melton,I believe, is its best. He was really missed last night.

Comment

I agree that De’Anthony brings much needed defense and rebounding from he guard spot, but there doesn’t seem to be any indication when he’ll be cleared.

Comment

Save the season from what? Is the team 1-4 right now or 4-1? The boys shot horribly last night. Terrible. The effort was good & they got open shots. I suggest before anyone ever hits the panic button that they look at the team's statistical averages and compare their performance to that. Teams and players always fall into that over the span of a season. This season, our team shoots 42% from the field and 38% from behind the arc. Last season (basically the same team and a larger sample size), they shot 45% and 36%. Last night, they shot 28% and 26% with a lot of them being wide open shots. If they hit their averages, we score a much more respectable 68-72 points. And who knows how that would've affected A&M's score. The shots weren't falling.

Melton will be a great addition, no doubt. But this season doesn't need saving. The kids will be alright. I wonder what Roy Williams is thinking about his Tarheels right now.
          Last edited by ob4sc; 11-27-2017, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ob4sc View Post
            Save the season from what? Is the team 1-4 right now or 4-1? The boys shot horribly last night. Terrible. The effort was good & they got open shots. I suggest before anyone ever hits the panic button that they look at the team's statistical averages and compare their performance to that. Teams and players always fall into that over the span of a season. This season, our team shoots 42% from the field and 38% from behind the arc. Last season (basically the same team and a larger sample size), they shot 45% and 36%. Last night, they shot 28% and 26% with a lot of them being wide open shots. If they hit their averages, we score a much more respectable 68-72 points. And who knows how that would've affected A&M's score. The shots weren't falling.

Melton will be a great addition, no doubt. But this season doesn't need saving. The kids will be alright.
            It isn't just last night. We've struggled in more than half of our games this year. The expectations were a top 10 team and so far there has been nothing to show that we are worthy of that expectation.

Comment

It's still too early to worry, in my opinion. I just looked back at the game scores and stats. I know that a couple of them were close, then we pulled away late. But that's basketball. Only the NDST game did we have poor shooting overall and you can probably chalk that up to not respecting your opponent.

Look, the only guy who I have issues with on the court is Benny, and I've always felt that way. Reminds me of Nick Young - scores points but doesn't do the little things: rebounds, assists, moving without the ball, etc. And he's a black hole who shoots early in the shot clock, often creating wasted possessions. He has just enough performances where he lights it up to justify the lofty expectations, but he'll cost us a few games over the course of the season. Hopefully, none of the important ones (i.e. tourney games).

But with JMac, Metu, Matthews & Elijah - not to mention Nic & an improved Aaron, I feel we have plenty of balance and talent to overcome most situations when a player or two is off. And as it's been said, when Melton hopefully returns it will even put less dependency on one or two guys to carry the team.

Comment

Originally posted by ob4sc View Post
                It's still too early to worry, in my opinion. I just looked back at the game scores and stats. I know that a couple of them were close, then we pulled away late. But that's basketball. Only the NDST game did we have poor shooting overall and you can probably chalk that up to not respecting your opponent.

Look, the only guy who I have issues with on the court is Benny, and I've always felt that way. Reminds me of Nick Young - scores points but doesn't do the little things: rebounds, assists, moving without the ball, etc. And he's a black hole who shoots early in the shot clock, often creating wasted possessions. He has just enough performances where he lights it up to justify the lofty expectations, but he'll cost us a few games over the course of the season. Hopefully, none of the important ones (i.e. tourney games).

But with JMac, Metu, Matthews & Elijah - not to mention Nic & an improved Aaron, I feel we have plenty of balance and talent to overcome most situations when a player or two is off. And as it's been said, when Melton hopefully returns it will even put less dependency on one or two guys to carry the team.
                I agree with all of this except the point re: Nick Young. While he was at USC, he played the 4 spot and was a tremendous rebounder and hustled his butt off. He was nicknamed, “Noodles” because of springs lol

I also think QQ is being underutilized due to his inconsistent PT. He’s clearly not finding his rhythm, definitely think if he gets 15-20 minutes out of him, you’ll get a good productivity.

Comment

I agree with cj,Nick gave a greater effort then Bennie and didn't hoist up shot after shot. I realize that Metu and Bennie may be high NBA draft picks but I do not see any improvement over what they were last year through the first five games. I would like to know what their field goal percentages are outside of 3 feet? Bennie is a perimeter player ans Metu is trying to be one since he will have some problems scoring inside on the next level. Metu has nice form and rotation but his shot seldom falls. At THIS time, I don't see either being anywhere close to playing in the NBA JMO. Best of luck to both.
                  Once again, we need Melton BADLY.

Comment

Metu: PPG/RPG/BPG

16-17: 14.8/7.8/1.5
                    17-18: 16.6/8.4/1.8

Comment

ob4sc, What are his minutes and shooting numbers? I don't go by stats. I go by what my eyes tell me. My eyes tell me he looks the same as last year. Takes lots of bad shots and frequently plays out of control. If he would let the game come to him and not try to create he would be a much more effective player.

Comment

• ob4sc
                        ob4sc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Last year, Metu averaged 31.3 minutes & so far this year he's averaging 30.0. His shooting % is 47% this year & 55% last year. He was about 38% yesterday, so that skewed the percentage down with this small sample. Freethrows are way down this year, too. 61% vs 74%

Originally posted by Marty46r View Post
                      I agree with cj,Nick gave a greater effort then Bennie and didn't hoist up shot after shot. I realize that Metu and Bennie may be high NBA draft picks but I do not see any improvement over what they were last year through the first five games. I would like to know what their field goal percentages are outside of 3 feet? Bennie is a perimeter player ans Metu is trying to be one since he will have some problems scoring inside on the next level. Metu has nice form and rotation but his shot seldom falls. At THIS time, I don't see either being anywhere close to playing in the NBA JMO. Best of luck to both.
                      Once again, we need Melton BADLY.
                      From most of the NBA scouting reports that I've read, he doesn't seem to be projected as a first rounder at this point. Too many holes in his game.

Comment

To be fair,it's a small sample size so stats really mean nothing but from the little they've played,he looks the same to me. I hope both Metu and Bennie take a big step forward. We are going to need them to.

Comment

We either go 12-1 or 11-2 in non-conference games. This is with or without Melton. Just get him cleared for conference.

Just hope that there is an actual plan to get him eligible. Whatever this may be. Heck with have heard more about the China 3 at Ucla than Melton. Would be nice to know the plan even if it’s an indefinite suspension. I understand privacy but neither he or his family were charged by the FBI.

Comment

Working...
                          X