X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Tim Floyd retiring

Thankful for the good years he spent as the HC of our program & especially how he paid respect to the great late Ryan Francis. Many Trojan hoop fans were a huge advocate of his even well after his time at USC. Hopefully Bob Cantu takes over Utep and Keith Wilkinson gets a bump up the staff. Fight on!

I think Cantu is at the university of Portland

Comment

Originally posted by KingOfLA View Post
      I think Cantu is at the university of Portland
      He actually is and Keith Wilkinson is at UCR lol i’m so out of touch outside of USC Hoops.

Comment

Apparently Tim is having some health problems as well. He is the best coach I experienced at USC. I would have loved to see what would have happened if he had stayed, given the loaded incoming class. The way he treated Ryan, his contributions in creating the Galen Center...lots of good stuff there. Turning down Arizona to stay at SC despite having an athletic director trying to undermine him at every opportunity: perhaps not the best decision but one that showed his loyalty to SC.

Comment

I remember seeing him at the Sports Arena watching the team from seats under the basket after he was named the coach for the following year. He was with Rousean Cromwell (?) who was the highest ranked recruit left on the board (112th in the nation) when he was named HC for the following season which would be our 1st in the Galen. He brought in some tough physical players like Ryan Francis (RIP) , Marcus Simmons and Leonard Washington. OJ and Demar were his 5 Star recruits... His only mistake was leaving the awards banquet early to interview for the Arizona job which ultimately led to his demise imo.....

Comment

I used to work for recruiting website and magazine when I first started all of this, until I realized there's no money in it. I started my work with Henry Bibby, and remembered watching practices and the differences between a Bibby and Floyd practice - Floyd knew how to coach. He loved teaching the game the right way. Unfortunately, by this time, kids were just looking to go to the pros, and stopped listening. Good guy, good interview - just maybe 10-20 years too late. Would have been a top-rate coach in the 80s and 90s.

Re: Cabrillo's comment on Wilkinson - I don't think there's anything that makes you feel older than when guys you used to cover/watch are making their ways up the coaching ranks.

Comment

Working...
            X