X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The truth starting to come to light re: Melton

https://twitter.com/latimessports/st...47709667106817

Boom! Brilliant reporting by the LA Times. this clearly needs to get resolved soon and our Administration needs to act on this quickly and stop being so damn hesitant. I'm tired of having our program having a dark cloud hovering over it. Also hope this proves Tony Bland being innocent and reinstated at USC **crossing fingers**
    Last edited by cabrillo_jaguar; 11-29-2017, 07:08 AM.

what is very disturbing, is why the FBI is even involved in this, there does not seem to be any crime,and to make it worse they are providing the cash.

Comment

I wish I could say that the U.S. Attorneys' Office in the Southern District getting something so wrong would be an isolated incident; but it wouldn't be.
      Last edited by chaseinmanhattan; 11-29-2017, 08:39 AM.

Comment

The FBI in this case seems to be grabbing at strings without adequate proof.
        Dawkins is the one taking the 5k envelope. Dawkins is a sports agent. But there is
        no proof that Melton's family received the money.
        Elliot is a friend but not part of Melton's family.
        In this case, it seems that Melton's family did not receive any money.

Comment

If this is all that there is it is criminal that this kid is not playing. FBI should be embarrassed.

Comment

The FBI is not capable of any embarrassment of which they are aware.
            Last edited by Mickey Linehan; 11-29-2017, 11:02 AM.

Comment

The incompetence of our athletic department and leadership never fails to amaze me. Poor kid.

Comment

so the money backer gives an agent money, that could be considered a retainer for their partnership. Where does anthony melton come into this

Comment

I’ve said from the beginning that Dawkins is the type of person that would scam his partners and pocket the envelopes.

Luckily for Bland, based on the original complaint, there is no visual evidence that he received the money and no audio of him asking for a specific amount. Everything goes through Dawkins.

He still will likely never have another CBB coaching job even if the charges are dropped.

On the Melton front, USC has no idea how to handle these situations. They should suspend him and then ask for reinstatement. At that point they would be in the clear. Holding him out now doesn’t help anyone as Melton won’t get credit for time served.

Comment

• Mickey Linehan
                    Mickey Linehan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    At this point I see no reason to believe that USC has not been in contact with the NCAA Compliance department or that any suspension would necessarily be in addition to the games the player has already missed.

Maybe they are screwing it up, but the only reason to be sure of that now is blind faith in their incompetence.

Originally posted by 1troydoc View Post
                  The incompetence of our athletic department and leadership never fails to amaze me. Poor kid.
                  Not sure I understand this, the administration is trying to protect the brand (the university) - this one is totally on the NCAA (and the FBI) IMO.

Comment

Interesting to compare the way Alabama, Miami, Oklahoma State and Arizona have handled this to the way USC is handling the Melton situation.

Are all those programs taking major risks or is USC being irrationally cautious?

(I also question if Elliot receiving money is even a violation. Elliot is being given money to try and influence Melton - there is benefit to Melton or his family in this situation.

Comment

It's gotta be either a major risk or irrational caution?

No other possibilities? Like maybe reasonable prudence?

'Cause I really don't know what they're doing, but I do know that all caution isn't necessarily irrational.

Comment

They are conflict avoidant cowards. Period.

Comment

Didn't SC hire a huge firm headed by Louis Freeh to figure out what happened? More money well spent.

Comment

Originally posted by tjmac View Post
                            Didn't SC hire a huge firm headed by Louis Freeh to figure out what happened? More money well spent.
                            "The university previously announced that it was hiring a company led by former FBI director Louis Freeh to assist with athletic compliance. Nikias said the company would also conduct "a thorough assessment of the student-athlete culture at USC.''

The Freeh Group is expected to assess the university's athletic program and processes and make recommendations by the end of September. Its report is expected to include ``recommendations related to ensuring compliance with USC, Pacific 10 and NCAA rules with respect to high-profile student-athletes,'' according to Nikias."

They rehire him to ask him why the millions they spent the first time around didn't work

Comment

Working...
                            X