X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very disappointing

And no it isn't because of Melton's absence.

It's clear this team has shown no improvement at all. How many times is the opposition gonna be allowed to jack up threes unguarded?

Let us remember that SC was dangerously close to losing to Vanderbilt and North Dakota State. These types of losses keep teams out of the tournament come March. Of course, SC even thinking about the big dance is laughable.

Although I wanted SC to go after Frank Martin when it was clear he was lookin to leave Kansas St, I appreciate what Enfield has done. He brought some excitement to the program and the recruiting has been excellent. But I'm not sure SC ever gets to being a consistent top 25 program and an every year NCAA Tournament team under his leadership.

Is this program EVER going to reach its potential???? I am far more interested in SC becoming a big time basketball school than anything related to the football program. I suppose I'm the only one.

No, you are not the only who loves SC Basketball as much as Football. It is definitely disappointing to see the way this team has started the season. Unfortunately, if the team's shooting stays cold, more disappointment is on the way. Some posters get very upset, if a player is criticized. So each person can decide for himself which players are doing what. right now, NOBODY is playing at a very high level.

In the past two seasons, the team has gone through slumps during the conference. Perhaps, this year, the slump will be early on and the team will get stronger. Nobody can know for sure, but one can hope. I still think SC , lacking brute strength, should and could use length and athleticism to press all game long. Use the freshman and let them get involved. Force more turnovers, hope that Thornton gets well because right now there is NOBODY to back up at PG.

I think it is worth playing Melton using the rationale that nothing has been found. There really is no reason to think the kid is ineligible. And if down the road, the NCAA says otherwise, fight them head on----it works for all the other schools and it will work for SC if they do it. If the FBI can't find squat to nail this kid, then to hell with the NCAA. In this country, a person is innocent till proven guilty, or is that not true?

I have major concerns about the team's shooting. They have been cold for two consecutive games and they need to step it up. I hope they do, but it would not surprise me to see more disappointments. MJD

Comment

MJD,you can shoot better then these guys,bad back and all.

Comment

The team plays very low IQ basketball - it has been that way since day 1 with CAE. At some point it is about coaching.

Too many bad shots, too many wasted possessions,too many lapses on D.

Comment

Pomeroy has dropped us to #26, behind Arizona at #18. UCLA is ranked third in the conference at 47.

Thornton was injured tonight and Boatwright couldn't throw it in the ocean.

So, yeah, it's absolutely time to panic and fire the coach.

Comment

• swamdog
            swamdog commented
            Editing a comment
            Got blown out at home by yes a very good team(Texas A & M) but don't good/great teams win those games at home or if they don't isn't it competitive. Got blown out at SMU who will be a bubble team come selection sunday. Of course that Vanderbilt win looks impressive. Of course Vanderbilt came back and probably looked like one of the worst teams in the country when Virginia and Seton Hall took them to the woodshed. And if anyone thinks that Vanderbilt win was good just watch how they played against UV and SH. They got destroyed. If you actually watch the games nobody would dispute the Vanderbilt win was garbage. Of course ND ST is rolling. Not sure they'll lose another game all year.

• FireClayHelckett
            FireClayHelckett commented
            Editing a comment
            Time to take off the kid gloves! This is a deep talented team. They look awful coming out of of the gate. Losing to the few decent OOC opponents is unacceptable and they look really bad on top of that. Not sure what UA and the Bruins have to do with a completely pathetic start to what is supposed to be the best team in school history (or one of the best) but I'm focused on my alma mater. And in less than a month, they've played their way from the top ten to out of the top 25. And come tournament time, there are going to be very few quality wins. Pac-12 is BAD. The rest of the OOC doesn't have a lot of top notch competition remaining.

By the way, not callin for AE to be fired. I'm just starting to think we've peaked under his watch. I'm grateful he's elevated the program far above the cellar, where KO left it. Further, SC has one of the most poorly run athletic departments in the country. The chances are always great the next hire will be terrible.

I’m starting to think maybe it is the HC that’s the problem. I remember reading some player interviews and they all said what they love most about CAE’s offense is that they have the green light to shoot regardless of what play is called, and which is totally OK unless you hit the shot. Uhhh??? No. That shouldn’t be an approach to any offense, unless you’re the Golden State Warriors, or unless you have one hell of a rebounding edge (which they didn’t vs SMU).

Speakign of SMU, I watched the replay last night and they ended the game with a 5 guard lineup and still managed to out rebound us. Unbelievable. The team has clearly bought into their press clippings and are not playing with any heart or any signs of improvement from last season.

When you expect two NBA draft hopefuls come back and 90% of your scoring carrying over from last season, you should expect some improvement right? Preseason Top 10? Best player in the Conference? Potential Final 4 contender? Nope. Something has got to change, and it has to change FAST.

Comment

Why can't the team score beyond the 50s?
            This team does not look as good as the end of last year.
            Did the team loose a essential scorer from last year?

Comment

Originally posted by cabrillo_jaguar View Post
              I’m starting to think maybe it is the HC that’s the problem.
              The best coaches in CBB are barking orders and calling sets on almost every possession. You'll barely ever see Coach K, Izzo, Sean Miller or CAL just sitting on the bench letting the players just play.

Last night Metu should've had a touch on every possession. Instead we had Rak or Bennie forcing up shots.

Comment

Originally posted by TrojanMindSC View Post

The best coaches in CBB are barking orders and calling sets on almost every possession. You'll barely ever see Coach K, Izzo, Sean Miller or CAL just sitting on the bench letting the players just play.

Last night Metu should've had a touch on every possession. Instead we had Rak or Bennie forcing up shots.
                Bingo. I’m a huge fan of CAE but he is too lenient on his players. All of his players say they love him because he’s a great guy, but you need that Alpha personality in order to be a great leader. I’ve only seen him barking at officials, never on his players. Granted, I don’t know how he is behind the scenes, but he needs to tear the team a new one after the performance last night. I’m personally not going to accept anything less than a W vs Oklahoma. Fight on!

Comment

If barking is the key to coaching success maybe we should have hung on to KO.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Linehan View Post
                    lol no way! Wasn’t my point. I think he has to hold his players a bit accountable during the performances of the last two games. Now he doesn’t have to do it publicly, but I just hope he lights some fire so they can go back to playing to their expectations.

Comment

• Mickey Linehan
                      Mickey Linehan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, I take your point and I agree. It's just that I don't know how he is behind the scenes either, so I'd be reluctant to say for sure he's too lenient. You don't have to call your guys out in public.

Different coaches have different styles. I think that TrojanMind's claim that "The best coaches in CBB are barking orders" is--let's say--questionable.

Originally posted by Mickey Linehan View Post
                    KO's teams were excellent defensively.

Unfortunately, he had no clue how to coach offense, relate to players or the willingness to grind and recruit top talent.

We could use a KO type coach to help our defense.

Comment

• Mickey Linehan
                      Mickey Linehan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think I have to disagree.
                  Working...
                  X