X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple thoughts

1. I think the loss of Bland is a possible explanation for the lethargy of the team. Perhaps his departure has really affected these guys more than we know. Look at Arizona as another example of how this scandal has had an impact.

2. Once Thornton gets healthy and Melton returns, the new starting lineup should be McLaughlin, Melton, Thornton, Metu, Rakocevic. Bennie and Elijah need to sit until they get their heads on straight.

3. I'm still not pushing the panic button on this year. These were two tough matchups. It's disturbing that they were not close, but there is plenty of time to fix things.

I like your starting lineup but I believe you have a better chance of seeing God before Enfield benches Boatwright.

Comment

I honestly believe Stewart has been fine. If he'd shot decently against TAMU, his start to the season would have been adequate enough. He's also playing good defense whenever we play man to man (his zone defense always sucks.)

Not sure why Boatwright has been so awful, but I agree, he should be playing way less than he is.

I love Thornton's defense, but he committed 4 turnovers in 11 minutes against TAMU. Still certainly a work in progress--and he's shown little ability to score. Regardless, I'd be fine with your lineup. Melton will honestly be so important.

Comment

The starting lineup doesn't really matter much. All 7 of those guys (plus Matthews and Aaron) will continue to play significant minutes. Our rotations have been consistently sound over the last couple seasons, with everybody ending up with something close to the right time on the floor, depending on production. Does anyone know if there's an assistant coach designated to be responsible for the distribution of playing time? Early on I got the impression that it might've been Norris.

So I wonder if your first point, the Tony Bland situation isn't the thing that should be producing more concern. We've all heard about his recruiting and his close relationship with many of the players. But I don't really know how much direct input he had into the coaching process, in practices or in games. It could just be possible that his sudden and unexpected subtraction from the team dynamic is having more impact than anyone on the outside has been aware of. If that's the case, it's up to Enfield to work through it. We might be getting the opportunity here to gain some genuine insight into how good he really is at his job, as opposed to the usual kind of shallow fan-analysis made up of euphoria/panic based on the most recent wins and losses.

Comment

Thornton, once healthy, needs more minutes and should start. Ridiculous that he wasn't from starting game 1.

Comment

I think Bennie needs to start because you don't want to mess up his confidence. They need to let him know what their expectations are with him and if he's not meeting it then should be subbed out. He seems to be under the impression that he has the green light on any shot.

Comment

Originally posted by TroyD View Post
              I think Bennie needs to start because you don't want to mess up his confidence. They need to let him know what their expectations are with him and if he's not meeting it then should be subbed out. He seems to be under the impression that he has the green light on any shot.
              They all do. CAE gives his players freedom to take shots regardless of what set is called. Multiple players have gone on record about this. Certainly isn’t a problem when they are hitting their shots, but that isn’t the case. I’d rather have JMac facilitate, run pick & rolls and have Bennie and Metu run multiple high low sets (which was a thing of beauty last season). Not giving up, there is plenty of time to right the ship. Beat Oklahoma!

Comment

Originally posted by cabrillo_jaguar View Post

They all do. CAE gives his players freedom to take shots regardless of what set is called. Multiple players have gone on record about this. Certainly isn’t a problem when they are hitting their shots, but that isn’t the case. I’d rather have JMac facilitate, run pick & rolls and have Bennie and Metu run multiple high low sets (which was a thing of beauty last season). Not giving up, there is plenty of time to right the ship. Beat Oklahoma!
                Yeah, I think there's a difference between making a couple of passes and having an open look and when you just jack up a 35 footers with the offense not even really set yet.

Comment

Working...
                X