• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upset alert: UW up 14 against Kansas late in 2nd half

Has to be the biggest upset so far in the season if this pulls through

Huge win for the P12!

Comment

Huge win for Pac 12 for sure - and a bad loss for Jayhawks at Kansas City. That is college basketball for us.

Comment

How the F did this happen? How is UW any good? I'm puzzled.

Comment

I was able to watch the second half. Truly astonishing gameplan from Mike Hopkins and UW. Though not identical, from a defensive creativity standpoint it reminded me of Tim Floyd's triangle-and-two against Memphis and Derrick Rose back in the day. Basically UW played a super-extended 2-3 zone and straight up would not allow KU to shoot 3's at any cost, or even move the ball around the perimeter that much. As a result, they left the middle of the zone WIDE open. In response, KU kept giving the ball to a guard positioned at the free throw line (KU plays four guards at a time so it wasn't a traditional big-man high post low post), who then had a two-on-two against Washington's big men. UW's guards would not help at all, and blocked all passing lanes to the shooters. So possession after possession, it was essentially 2-on-2 starting at the free throw line. And KU just wasn't scoring very efficiently in this set at all. Then they would panic and try to have more normal possessions and run normal sets, and UW would get steals because they'd be overcommitting in passing lanes so much. I'm having a very hard time describing it; I've never seen anything like it, but it was extremely effective.

On the offensive end, Dickerson was pretty good for UW down low, Matisse Thybulle (who is legit!) had a career shooting game from 3-point land, they didn't turn the ball over at all, Crisp made some big shots and nice passes, and this freshman Nowell they have is very good too. They're gonna make some noise in the PAC. If y'all will remember, once Fultz got hurt last year, they played us reasonably tough at Galen and also in the PAC tourney.

All in all, it made me A) scared to play UW and B) wish CAE did more creative/suffocating things with our athleticism and length defensively.

Comment

• sirdogz
            sirdogz commented
            Editing a comment
            I see this is your first post. Welcome to the board. Nice to have another dog-themed username as well. We can always use insightful, nuanced analysis like this.

Our basic 2-3 zone does seem pretty mediocre, when you consider the athletes we have. It'll be interesting to see what Enfield draws up to stop Trae Young.

HUGE, HUGE Win for UDub!

Comment

I was really excited when he was considering us, but cooled on him based on the 10 games he coached while Boeheim was suspended. But the rumor was, he basically did the game planning and the practice planning for Cuse. He's been more than ready to take that next step.

Comment

Originally posted by VATrojan94 View Post
              I was really excited when he was considering us, but cooled on him based on the 10 games he coached while Boeheim was suspended. But the rumor was, he basically did the game planning and the practice planning for Cuse. He's been more than ready to take that next step.
              He definitely wanted the USC job. Glad it eventually worked out for both parties.

Comment

That extended zone is nothing new; it's been Boeheim's trademark at Syracuse for years. Interestingly, Ken Pomeroy has written that there is evidence that it may arguably have a small but measurable impact on an opponent's three-point shooting percentage. That, if it becomes established, would be fairly revolutionary in statistical analysis.

It's been generally accepted that defense cannot affect your opponent's ability to make their threes. You can take away the three--which is to say, reduce the number of them--at the expense of opening up the two. But so far, unless you're Syracuse, anyway, it seems that you can't make them miss the shots they take outside the arc.

Aggressively defending the three is a choice, not an imperative.

Comment

Working...
                X