X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selected Offensive Stats over Last 5 Games Played

Name Mins FG% PTS Pts/ 30-Min TRB Reb/ 30-Min AST 3P% FT% ORB DRB STL BLK TOV
    Jonah Mathews 29.8 39.0% 8.2 8.3 3.4 3.4 1.2 40.0% 100.0% 0.8 2.6 0.0 0.6 1.2
    Nick Rakocevic 18.4 62.2% 10.4 17.0 8.0 13.0 0.4 54.5% 3.6 4.4 0.4 0.6 1.6
    Jordan McLaughlin 35.0 44.2% 11.2 9.6 3.6 3.1 10.4 58.8% 66.7% 0.8 2.8 2.2 0.4 2.6
    Elijah Stewart 30.8 45.8% 13.0 12.7 3.0 2.9 1.8 39.4% 100.0% 1.6 1.4 0.6 1.4 1.0
    Bennie Boatwright 30.6 35.4% 13.6 13.3 9.2 9.0 2.6 29.0% 81.3% 4.0 5.2 0.2 1.2 1.8
    Chimezie Metu 31.0 54.0% 18.0 17.4 7.8 7.5 0.8 42.9% 79.2% 2.2 5.6 0.8 1.8 2.6

Intresting

Comment

Thanks Chase. Some very interesting numbers there. The two players numbers that stand out to me are Rak and Bennie. One other thing, remember when we all questioned why with a shooting coach like Enfield why can't we do better on the foul line? Take a look now.

Comment

Stats line up pretty well with the eye test.

The Good: Rak has been great over past 5 games, exactly the type of improvement I was hoping for after slow start to season. If he can stay out of foul trouble I think he deserves to get closer to 25mpg. Metu has made more offensive improvements and is top 5 player in P12. Still would love to see more rebounding from him. Also, its nice to put up huge numbers against mid majors, but how about you show some of that dominance against Power 5 competition?

The OK: Stewart and Mathews still need to be hitting 3's to be net positive players. Neither of them can finish at the rim or dribble. I guess Mathews defense is above average, although Trae Young simply embarrassed him. Has Stewart improved at all as a player since his sophomore year? I don't notice a difference.

The Bad / Ugly / Horrible: Not only do Boatwright's stats not look good, but I think he has visibly been sucking the life out of the team when he's on the floor. I don't even know whether to complain most about the awful shooting, ball stopping or the porous defense. That plantar wart was just what our offense needed last night. Enfield needs to have a heart-to-heart with Bennie and get him to stop trying too hard on offense and try harder on defense. First step let's simplify his offensive load: shoot open (key word: OPEN) spot up 3's, attack selectively off late closeouts, post up only on defenders under 6'5" and KEEP THE DAMN BALL MOVING.

The Steady: I love J-Mac. He has really made an effort this year to get everyone their looks and pick his spots when we need him to score. Not surprising the offense started to flow when Bennie sits and the ball was in J-Mac's hands more often. Never feels like he's trying to do too much or just bolster an NBA scouting tape. His limitations are what they are. He's going to struggle against bigger athletic guards and finishing at the rim against high level bigs. Whatever. I wish he had infinite eligibility.

The Questions:
        - Are we going to get anything this season out of the 2 highest rated recruits on the team, Thornton and Aaron? Thornton looked to be playing too fast early and is going to miss significant time. And poor Shaqquan Aaron. The guy is now horrified to handle the ball at all and knows if he misses his first shot he probably doesn't have enough leash to take another.
        - Can a freshman get minutes? Usher is adjusting to game speed and starting to put it together. If Bennie is going to continue being a black hole, sign me up for more Usher minutes. At least he adds value even if not scoring.
        - WHEN THE FFFF#####&&&&KKKKK ARE WE GOING TO SEE MELTON? If Mathews now misses some time, are we going to see meaningful Karis minutes before they activate Deanthony? I hate everything about how USC has handled this. Have to anxiously scroll through twitter before every damn game to see if he's suited up

Comment

• sirdogz
          sirdogz commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with most everything you said. We need Melt, Rak looks great, Bennie has been awful, etc.

For what it's worth, Stewart scored three or four buckets in the paint last night. He also has the second best ORating on the team (which measures the effectiveness of a player's offense.) The only player better than him in terms of ORating at SC is the often sensational J-Mac.

This idea that Elijah hasn't improved since his sophomore year (which is prevalent on here) really baffles me.

Meanwhile, Chimezie has statistically regressed since last year--though he was undeniably brilliant against UCSB. Hopefully he keeps trending in that direction.
          Last edited by sirdogz; 12-19-2017, 12:24 AM.
      Working...
      X