X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This season is Over. What a shame

Well, unless the goal was going to the NIT. This team has only 3 opportunities to get a quality win. At the Diamondhead Classic against Miami but pretty sure they will lose to Akron but if not they have zero chance against Middle Tennessee to even get the opportunity to play Miami. At ASU & Arizona are the other 2 games. ASU may put up 150 in that game. And at Arizona. Please!! Right now this team may not even get 9 wins in conference. This is probably the most disappointed I've been with USC basketball since James bleeping Forest.

I had such high hopes for this year. I do think we really miss Melton. He was a glue guy. Still hoping that he comes back and we get our groove back. How can the same exact team regress so much? Melton is a big part, but we added talent and this team has played a lot of games together. Just mind boggling. Why do we have no bench?!!!! Usher is the only one with potential.

This is/was our year to set the trend and become LA’s team for a while. If ucla tanks like it looks they will. They will fire Alford or Alford will leave just like he bolted before Iowa fired him. It would have been great to established momentum before he did. If they get a new hire like Hurley or even Utah’s Coach K we lose a golden opportunity. Still hopeful and I love my team. But wow, a bad loss tonight and probably looking at 5 loses before we begin conference play. Need to go 13-5 at least in conference and 21-10 with making the PAC 12 tourney final to make the Dance. 23-11 and maybe we squeak in as a 10 or 11. This team has the talent to be a 3-4 seed.

Comment

Originally posted by DanCSC View Post
      How can the same exact team regress so much?
      Did we really regress that much?

Last year, we really got lucky in a lot of games. We came back to win I think 13 games after trailing by double digits. We could've easily finished out of conference play with 3 or 4 losses to teams such as Troy and Wyoming.

You're right about Melton though. CAE has some serious coaching deficiencies that Melton hid last year with his composure and basketball IQ.
      Last edited by TrojanMindSC; 12-20-2017, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Obviously Melton would help but even with him this team has too many issues to beat good teams or win on the road As good as Melton is he is not a good jump shooter which this team could use. Jmac is the only guy you can count on to hit an open 3. Stewart will have 4 or 5 good shooting games and the others he will go 2 for 10. Maybe Mathews can become more consistent but that has yet to be seen. Boatwright stats speak for themselves. In the few games Thornton has played hasn't shown he is capable of hitting open jump shots. Usher is probably a year away before developing a consistent jumper. And not even sure if O'Bannon has hit the rim with a 3-pointer. Since defense & rebounding is non-existent this team has to make 3-pointers and Jmac is the only guy that can consistently make an open 3.

Comment

Originally posted by TrojanMindSC View Post

Did we really regress that much?

Last year, we really got lucky in a lot of games. We came back to win I think 13 games after trailing by double digits. We could've easily finished out of conference play with 3 or 4 losses to teams such as Troy and Wyoming.

You're right about Melton though. CAE has some serious coaching deficiencies that Melton hid last year with his composure and basketball IQ.
          The fact that SC came back from 10 point deficits so many times last year means they were down a lot! I don't see much regression either, and certainly no improvement.

Comment

Yes, it was a tough loss. But we have 21 more games to play plus Pac 12 championship in Las Vegas. It is a long season. And we have time to turn it around. But we need to get players back from injury -Bennie, Thorton and Matthews and Melton back too hopefully. I just want to get into dance healthy and everyone ticket starts with a record 0-0. Let us keep supporting our team. Fight On!

Comment

Players were gassed in OT, do we win this game and Oklahoma with melton, no question. Just what is this administration doing, we finally get the team, and they seem to want to destroy it. Melton did nothing, there is no more news. Play the guy

Comment

I can only critique my son, needs to play better D

Comment

• USCJohnMac
                  USCJohnMac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well, sir, I will say the one positive I take away from last night's game, besides the continued outstanding play by JMac, was Jordan's play. There were certainly some freshman-esk rough spots, but you could see his is going to be a big contributor at SC.

• swamdog
                  swamdog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mr Usher not sure his defense is that bad. Sometimes he looks confused on defense but he is far from the only one. There is something inherently wrong with the concept of how to play team defense and that has been going on for several years. At least he plays with passion which I can't say for everyone on this team.

I don't think the season is over, not really sure what's different from last year. I'm sure what ever is different will get corrected . Fight On

Comment

I speak with Jordan before and after each game, he was frustrated with spot minutes but that's to be expected with the upper classman on the team. How ever with all the players that are out he needs to be better on D. Huge adjustment from high school and AAU

Comment

Originally posted by HenryUsher View Post
                    I speak with Jordan before and after each game, he was frustrated with spot minutes but that's to be expected with the upper classman on the team. How ever with all the players that are out he needs to be better on D. Huge adjustment from high school and AAU
                    i don't blame him for the frustration. enfield is a terrible in game coach with his substitution patterns and adjustments to the opposing team. i don't understand how he's made it this long as a coach while not understanding basic concepts

Comment

Jordan and COBJ are going to struggle early on defense; every single freshman does. Duke has had maddening bouts of terrible defense with their stud kids. Reps, PT and getting major minutes like last night is the cure for that ill. They're going to improve in that department.

Now the upper classmen that struggle on defense - much more concerning.

Comment

Mr. Usher,Jordan's minutes will increase if he focuses on defense and rebounding. These are the two areas that this team struggles in. They don't need him to score. If I was him I would be doing everything I could to free up shooters on the offensive end(picks on and away from the ball) and not be concerned about scoring. That will come.

Comment

Mr. Usher, I enjoyed Jordan's game. His hustle and energy will be an asset to the team the same Melton was last year. I remembered taking a picture with him right after the first game. He is good kid Mr. Usher.

On another note, you may noticed, most of the posters in this board are coaching and basketball experts (= little anti-Enfield hahaha) esp when team struggles. SC was lucky we over-achieved last year beating SMU and giving Baylor a game. And coaching always sucks when we struggle. But l like coach Enfield as a leader of our team. Yes he is a good coach, and Yes he not yet a great coach. And yes he is surrounded with great young assistant coaches (less Coach Bland). More importantly, he is great teacher and mentor, with solid values that kids can look up to. I learned more about Coach Enfiled after talking to his mom for 2 hrs after the SMU game last year.

Just to recap, if this teams makes it to the dance in March, it has nothing to do with coaching but luck - It is a long season and we have time to turn it around esp when Bennie, Jonah and Thorton gets back.

Fight On 🎅🎄✌

Comment

It's clear this is shaping up to be the most disappointing season in school history. By far.

Program is cursed.

Comment

Working...
                            X