X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Team is SOFT!!

I've been attending USC basketball games since 1973 from the old Sports Arena days. This team is in all likelihood the most disappointing team that I think I can ever remember. Coming into this season I was hoping for a Clancy/Bluthenthal/Glanville type of hurrah senior season. Sadly, this is a pipe dream at this point.

Several notes about this team that absolutely drive me nuts every time I watch them.
    1. I'm sorry to say this but this team is soft - both physically and mentally. They seem timid whenever confronted by any team that plays with any aggression. Unfortunately, this starts with the perimeter play. Whenever you see the opposing teams guards "D" up with physical play on our ball handlers, this team goes into shut down mode. They stop driving the lanes, aggressively attacking the hoop, and settle for questionable or ill advised jump shots. It's like they act like bullied kids who have no heart. It's disgusting that we let other teams push us around like this.
    2. Our defensive rebounding SUCKS (w/ all due to respect to Nick R)! We've got some of the laziest bigs when it comes to boxing out their man and squaring up to grab a rebound. Of course, this seems to be symptomatic of our team as a whole - i.e. lacking basic fundamentals (primarily defensively) which are coached to most kids when they're in grade school. Seriously, we are beyond bad in this category and I yell at my TV every time I see this. When are the coaches going to address this? It's been a glaring problem for so long and it's not getting any better. Seriously, what's going on here?
    3. Basic toughness of this squad seems lacking. I don't see any guys who seem willing to stick out their chin and just drive it down the other teams throat. We need some tough guys badly on this team as it's lopsided with finesse, soft, rhythm type players. This shows up in our defense and lack of challenging other teams with physical play. Man, we are soft and it seems like every opposing coach knows this as well (and is now exploiting it every chance they get- just physically challenge USC from the start, and they start playing scared).

I would absolutely kill to have a coach like Tim Floyd coaching the type of talent we have on this team as I believe he and Bob Boyd were the two best coaches that USC has employed over the last 40 years. With Tim Floyd at the helm I always thought our squad had a chance against whoever we played - even when our talent wasn't there. He knew how to coach (can still remember how USC dismantled the Kevin Durant led Texas squad in the NCAAs) and got the absolute most out of his talent. Enfield, on the contrary, doesn't seem to be anywhere near the tactician or teacher of fundamentals that Floyd was. Floyd would also recruit tough guys who didn't get pushed around (kids like Daniel Hackett who weren't afraid of challenging OJ Mayo types). Geez, I miss those days.

Anyway, I'm pissed from watching Akron push us around. Hope we turn it around in this stinker of a game.

Soft like my belly. (And probably yours.)

Comment

• Ken_Oside
      Ken_Oside commented
      Editing a comment
      My belly may be a little soft, but this is one Oceanside Polynesian who aint. This team could use a few Polynesian warrior types.

Welcome. great and accurate first post. This team wants to play the game on the perimeter and our opponents know that. Team lacks physicality and fundamentals. I was kind of surprised when JMac comes down on a 3 on 1 and instead of pulling up at the foul line for a pass or open shot option, he forces the ball down the middle for an offensive foul.
    It's only the 11th game of this season and I am disgusted watching this team play.

Comment

Floyd was the best.

Comment

Good & accurate post Ken. Agree with you on Floyd as well. He was/is a fantastic coach. One thing he would do is have his team know where the opposing team's best shooters were at all times and try to take them out of the game. Another game besides Texas was the home game against North Carolina in which a little freshman point guard led USC to victory. Of course that USC freshman was Ryan Francis.

Comment

• Ken_Oside
          Ken_Oside commented
          Editing a comment
          I was lucky enough to attend both the Texas game and the North Carolina game you mentioned. Tyler Hansborough was pretty tough for UNC.

Yeah, I think Floyd was terribly underrated as a coach - even by many USC fans. IMO, the best since Boyd.

This team is hard.

Comment

• Ken_Oside
          Ken_Oside commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, they are hard to figure out.

It's amazing how playing a little inspired defense can help turn a game around.

Would love to see what Tim Floyd would do with this team

Comment

Actually Tim Floyd relied heavily on Phil Johnson to scout the opposing team and to come up with an effective game plan, both offensive and defensively. He had 20 years of coaching experience and did a terrific job. Not saying Tim wasn't my favorite head coach, but Phil was invaluable.

Comment

Working...
          X