X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now that Cherry is gone, I'll say it

He is an overrated recruit and easily the most expendable of the players who committed to USC this year. This is NOT sour grapes. You guys don't like Bennie Boatwright's style of play? You would've HATED Cherry, who loves to park outside the three point line and jack up shots all day while playing no defense. Add to that a lack of athleticism, toughness and flexibility and, to me, it's really remarkable that he was rated as highly as he was.

So, yeah, losing Cherry is bad PR for the class and the program, but he can't carry Porter or Weaver's jock when it comes to the impact he will have at the next level.

Hope you're right.I do love Porter's tape. Very impressive offensive looking player. Just explosive!

Comment

I must admit I agree with you 100%. Hope we can land more guys like Jordan Usher, JMac, Metu. Good kids that hustle and are quality people

Comment

Originally posted by MeltonNotHelton View Post
        He is an overrated recruit and easily the most expendable of the players who committed to USC this year. This is NOT sour grapes. You guys don't like Bennie Boatwright's style of play? You would've HATED Cherry, who loves to park outside the three point line and jack up shots all day while playing no defense. Add to that a lack of athleticism, toughness and flexibility and, to me, it's really remarkable that he was rated as highly as he was.

So, yeah, losing Cherry is bad PR for the class and the program, but he can't carry Porter or Weaver's jock when it comes to the impact he will have at the next level.
        Since I have been on this forum I have enjoyed your post's. I must say i'm a little dissapointed in your last. We cant be a fan base that kicks kids that don't want to be a part of our program. Wish them well and move on. They are making choices for them and not us. At the end of the day I want a kid that wants to be here.

Comment

• MeltonNotHelton
          MeltonNotHelton commented
          Editing a comment
          You are right, perhaps I was too rough on the guy. I mean nothing personal. I DO wish him well, as I wish everyone well. I'm just pointing out that sometimes guys are not rated properly according to their talents. Your son is a prime example of a guy who probably should've been more highly-regarded coming out of high school. I just don't want SC fans to get too down on their program right now as a result of this Cherry news. My whole point is that we'll be just fine (in particular because of players like your son).

Well said, thrilled that you and your son decided to join the Trojan family! Fight on!

Comment

Originally posted by HenryUsher View Post

Since I have been on this forum I have enjoyed your post's. I must say i'm a little dissapointed in your last. We cant be a fan base that kicks kids that don't want to be a part of our program. Wish them well and move on. They are making choices for them and not us. At the end of the day I want a kid that wants to be here.
          Agreed. FWIW, I’ve always been a fan of Taeshon’s game. Very competitive and fiery individual. Talks a lot of trash but backs it up with his game. Mr. Usher, if you think this is bad, you should see our Football board lol

Comment

Nothing against Cherry, but this may be a blessing in disguise. It seems CAE struggles to balance playing time/ egos when there are too many mouths to feed and we have seen that as a team, we need some players that aren't thinking NBA and aren't out there just trying to get their stats.

Comment

Cherry is a loss. Brooks is a loss.

I hope they come back. I doubt they will.

Best of luck to them.

Comment

As one who scouted Cherry back in July while he played in Las Vegas, I can tell you now my abbreviated report.
                Though talented, he performed like a head case. Very immature and erratic. He generally floated on the perimeter and didn’t particularly work hard. Only played defense occasionally (I know it’s AAU Ball).
                Constantly played with a running conversation. A conversation with himself. Enfield was up close watching. When Cherry rolled his ankle he appeared to play it for all it was worth. I didn’t think it was that bad. And neither did the head coach from Oregon State, who was sitting next to me.
                Cherry made comments after the game that he had twisted the ankle earlier in the summer and should have taken time off.
                But interestingly, during warmups while moving around with his music blaring from his headset (only player warming up with a headset on) he moved freely with no obvious ankle issues. He was dunking, twisting, turning and running freely.
                I believe he has a huge upside with “pro potential”. He needs to find a coach that will demand total effort at both ends of the court.
                As a side note, why did he transfer high schools in this his senior season after the semester had begun?
                I believe Enfield will be an active participant in the grad transfer market going into the summer.

Comment

Turn the page. Move on.

Comment

Working...
                  X