X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newsflash: This season is not over

I don't know about you guys, but I think it's high time we stop writing premature obituaries on this team and just trust that, for the most part, they are going to get things done. Yes, it's infuriating. Yes, it's not ideal basketball, but damn. They are who they are. This particular group is never going to be what we want them to be (the next group might). Let's just enjoy them for what they are: A bunch of fun-loving dudes who play fast and loose and usually win the game because they have a lot of magic and resiliency, not to mention basketball ability.

Congrats for a great win. Let's go get the Pac.

Let me add that Bennie Boatwright is a very important part of this team and he came to play today. He not only shot well, he also worked hard on the boards and on defense in crunch time. I think his off-season conditioning has paid off.

This could be a scary good team (as we hoped) if we get all the right pieces back.

Comment

Awesome win ✌🏽

Comment

Was a great win and a big coming out game for Boatwright. Besides his hot hand I was impressed how hard he worked on the boards. Our guys were manhandled(13 offensive rebounds) on the defensive glass and ONLY Boatwright with seven rebounds did some work there. Metu had a whopping 3 and Stewart had as many rebounds as all the guys on the board here.
        Metu was just awful,change that,beyond awful in this game. MSU players pushed Metu around and were just too physical for him. 1-8(the one was a dunk)from the field,3 rebounds in 32 minutes and 3 turnovers and some lousy interior defense. He lacks the strength to box out or get good position in the paint on both sides of the floor. Metu excels against weaker,smaller opponents. We won this game despite him. I really couldn't get over how poorly he was playing. At least he had that one big block at the end of the game. We need him to be MUCH better then this.
        Congrats to the kids. Well done and Fight On!

Comment

• MeltonNotHelton
          MeltonNotHelton commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry, this is way too tough on Metu, who is our best player. Yeah, he had a rough outing. It happens. Only excels against weaker, smaller opponents? You mean like the Baylor monster he dominated in the tourney last year? Come on.

Again, you are comparing Metu to an idealized version that doesn’t exist. He is what he is: a very skillled offensive player and athlete who has won a bunch of games for us. And he’ll win many more.

Good teams have other players step up when one player is struggling. Tonight was Bennie’s turn. Metu will be fine. Of our starting five the only player we can “count on” for consistency is J-Mac. And I guess I’d say that Matthews has been very consistent with his effort.

Comment

JuiceNewton,agree mostly with your post but you cannot have Metu and Stewart who both get a ton of minutes to combine for 3 rebounds. It really is astonishing that we won this game with those numbers.

Comment

• JuiceNewton
            JuiceNewton commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree with you Marty. Gotta board.

Originally posted by Marty46r View Post
          JuiceNewton,agree mostly with your post but you cannot have Metu and Stewart who both get a ton of minutes to combine for 3 rebounds. It really is astonishing that we won this game with those numbers.
          What he said.

Comment

Metu has been a very good player and made huge improvements last year. I was expecting him to come out this year with 10+ pounds of muscle, improved rebounding and a better low post game, Instead he worked on his 3 point shot and his legs actually look skinnier, if thats even possible. I wonder what NBA scout told him he was lacking a 30 foot shot?

Comment

Based on reason, I would think 12-6 in conference would squeak in, we really need 13-5, We should be able to do that if we do not go in the mid season slump. Every game counts

Comment

MeltonnotHelton,just reread my original post about Metu.You are 100% right,I was way too harsh on him. I wrote that post immediately after watching the game and I was just so disappointed in his play. Metu is a really good player but he needs to rebound and play better defense then yesterday. Some days your shots are just not going to fall but it can't effect the rest of your game.

Comment

It was nice to see the team sweep the tournament in HI heading into conference play and build some momentum. I'm not sure where the quality wins are gonna come from but I think SC needs to absolutely kill it in the Pac-12 (14-4 or 15-3) to have any kind of a chance. They CAN do it when they play their best and hopefully they will FREE MELTON.

I'll probably be more interested in SC-UW than SC-tOSU. Get off to a good start in conference play.

Comment

With the Washington schools at home, then the Bay Area schools on the road..no reason why we shouldn’t start off 4-0 in P12 play. Here’s to hoping Bennie can keep hitting on all cylinders!

Comment

Definitely agree that the season is NOT over!

Some insight on UW, however. They upset then-number 2 ranked, and undefeated, Kansas earlier this month -- at Kansas. Their first year head coach, Mike Hopkins, was a long time assistant coach at Syracuse -- well known for their 2/3 zone. I read that Hopkins stretched UW's 2/3 zone against Kansas to take away the Jayhawks' 3-point shooters. And it worked to perfection, leading to the upset.

I am concerned that UW will try to do the same against our 3-point shooters (the team's strength). Are we up for the challenge and able to make adjustments? I sure hope so. Go Trojans!!!
                      Last edited by PDXEsq93; 12-28-2017, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X