X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Good & The Bad Post- 3-Game Losing Steak

The Good: In the six games since losing 3 in a row, we have shot 49% or better from the field, and 37.5% from 3, in every game, including 4 games above 50% from the field and 3 games above 50% from 3; we’ve hit 10 or more 3s in five of those six games.

The Bad: During those six games, our opponents have shot 49% or better from the field 3 times, and have out-rebounded us twice.

Maybe it our defense, but it sure seems a lot of teams shoot the lights out against us. Princeton was a good example

Comment

Is it just me or does it seem like every time we play good D for most of the shot clock, the opposition hits a 3 to beat the clock? It's happened time and time again. Sometimes we have a guy in his face (SMU) or most other times we don't. It's not really bad D so to speak. I only get upset when our coaches don't identify who their hot shooter is and he ends up with a career night. Tim Floyd was a much better defensive coach and would go to a box-and-1 sometimes to slow that guy down...maybe if we had Melton we wouldn't have this problem...

Comment

I was thinking the exact same thing. Why does CAE never utilize the box-and-1. I first saw that defense used a lot against Harold Minor. Floyd utilized the box-and-1 and the triangle-and-2 on several occasions. I do like the extended zone, though. It has been very effective lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Section118 View Post
          Maybe it our defense, but it sure seems a lot of teams shoot the lights out against us. Princeton was a good example
          It's definitely our defense. Stewart and JMac's defense on the perimeter leaves a lot to be desired.

Comment

From what I’ve observed it’s two things:

1. Bad weak side D in the zone. They lose track of the man who does not have the ball. This also has a lot to do with the number of offensive rebounds we give up. We lose the weak side players and consequently don’t box them out.

2. Poor endurance D. As the shot clock winds down, we lose focus and pay attention only to the ball, giving up back door cuts and quick reverse passes along the perimeter for uncontested shots.

Comment

Originally posted by ob4sc View Post
              From what I’ve observed it’s two things:

1. Bad weak side D in the zone. They lose track of the man who does not have the ball. This also has a lot to do with the number of offensive rebounds we give up. We lose the weak side players and consequently don’t box them out.

2. Poor endurance D. As the shot clock winds down, we lose focus and pay attention only to the ball, giving up back door cuts and quick reverse passes along the perimeter for uncontested shots.
              Quality observations.

Comment

Hey Chase,what do the free throw shooting numbers look like. It hasn't been mentioned but one of the biggest reasons why we won yesterday was the 14-14 free throw shooting. This is the best foul shooting USC team I can recall in awhile.

Comment

Jordan has been playing way too many minutes lately, he is typically done by the end of the 4th. We will see a big improvement if Thorton gets back.

Comment

One of the reasons why I believe we are weak a rebounding team is because the team is is taught to run on missed shots and there is usually only 1 or 2 guys crashing the boards. If we have more guys crashing the boards then we can't run as much which is Enfield's bread and butter .
                    Last edited by TroyD; 12-26-2017, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marty46r View Post
                      Hey Chase,what do the free throw shooting numbers look like. It hasn't been mentioned but one of the biggest reasons why we won yesterday was the 14-14 free throw shooting. This is the best foul shooting USC team I can recall in awhile.
                      Marty, from Lehigh all the way through Princeton, we shot only about 65%.

In Honolulu, we shot about 80%.

That 15% was good for about 3-4 more points per game.

Comment

Originally posted by TroyD View Post
                        One of the reasons why I believe we are weak a rebounding team is because the team is is taught to run on missed shots and there is usually only 1 or 2 guys crashing the boards. If we have more guys crashing the boards then we can run as much which is Enfield's bread and butter .
                        I think a big part of it is that we simply have a lot of guys who like roaming the perimeter for jump shots.

Comment

Thanks Chase. Felt that we were shooting free throws at a better clip.
                          BTW, you are right,when you play on the perimeter you are not going to rebound very well and we also give up some rebounding playing in a zone most of the time now. We rarely get out well on the break now because you can't run when you don't rebound.

Comment

Kinda like last year. If Bennie shoots well, the team can succeed. If not, it is a struggle.

Comment

Working...
                            X