X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incredibly disappointing Loss

Who believes this team will have a winning record in conference? USC does not even protect home court. Which team looked like the better coached team? And what does the future of USC Basketball really look like right now? Overall, great day for USC athletics, The only question is which team disappointed more, SC Football or Basketball?

It’ll be interesting to compare USC’s and Washington’s respective football and basketball programs in the next few years. Washington’s head coaches for those sports could have been USC’s, but Pat Haden thought Sark > Petersen [absolutely wrong] and Enfield > Hopkins [wrong so far].

Comment

MJD,to answer your question it is basketball. The football team was playing one of the elite teams in the country and were double digit underdogs. The basketball team was at home and favored to win.
      You don't think USC basketball was coached well? We did hold Washington to shooting only 67% from the field. 67%!!! Are you f'n kidding me! MJD,I'll tell you one thing. USC's football and basketball are just so soft. All finesse if you can even use that term for football. Maybe both programs need to try to recruit more out of state kids. Seems like the areas in the country where kids have less to do are more physically developed and tougher. Maybe USC's kids are on the beaches while other programs are in the weight room.t I don't know. Just so disappointed.

Comment

Marty, this is not the football board, but I will say this. There is NO EXCUSE for any team to be bigger and stronger than SC in either football or basketball. with very few exceptions, SC's guys are no longer the biggest, or strongest or most physically dominating . I am old enough to remember the days that SC's guys like Mosebar, Matthews Munoz, Budde et al. were simply tougher and stronger than the opponents. That is no longer the rule
        And how awful is it that in football, on 3 occasions in the last two seasons, USC was humiliated on national TV when the game was in the limelight, Alabama, Notre Dame and Ohio State, That just blows, there is no other way to describe it.

Comment

so whats the reason for SC's decline? Is it soft players on the West Coast? Arizona/Oregon/Gonzaga seem to be playing well on the hardcourt.

Comment

MJD,of course I am old enough to recall those days. Just about every basketball game I see the opposing big men bull their way to the rim like Metu,Bennei,and Rac aren't even there. Team lacks strength and toughness. Is it me or is it that every opponent seems to have more muscular,thicker players?
            Enfield should start giving the freshman more time. They may give the team much needed energy and effort on the court. That is what I would do. Also,if I was coaching ,I would start JMac,Thornton(when healthy),Usher,Metu,and Bennie. I think this lineup would help defensively but Metu and Bennie for taller players are both weak defensively.

Comment

TroyAreaCA,I don't know. Maybe it's an L.A. thing. You don't think the games played in the midwest and east coast are more physical? I surely do.Goes for football also.

Comment

• TroyAreaCA
                TroyAreaCA commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree with that even though I will always be a proud Southwest US resident. Midwesterners and especially Southerners bring a passion that is unrivaled. A couple years ago I tried to get a couple of people to go to the Cal game which was a near-must win for SC to go to the tournament, out of a possible 30 people I tried to get to go only 2 went.

• TroyAreaCA
                TroyAreaCA commented
                Editing a comment
                I'll also add its CA thing imo. Bay Area residents aren't exactly loyal fans either.

For some reason I was optimistic about SC hoops heading into conference play. I'm not sure why. SC is an Andy Enfield team: finesse, no defense, an exciting brand of basketball at times.

Why are they worse this year than last year though? Please don't say it's Melton. He's a factor but it's much more than that.

As for football, I didn't even bother watching the game. Clay Helckett is so unqualified to be coaching SC football. It's just amazing that SC treats their football program like they're Colorado or ASU. There's probably about 5 coaches in the country that wouldn't come coach SC. I fully expect SC's next coach to be Tee Martin or Clancy Pendergast. The fact that Chip Kelly was sitting in an analyst's chair in some studio all this time and SC didn't send him a blank check is just.....maddening. The fact that he's at UCLA of all places....insane just insane.

There is no athletic department that is more poorly run than SC.
              Last edited by FireClayHelckett; 12-29-2017, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TroyAreaCA View Post
                so whats the reason for SC's decline? Is it soft players on the West Coast? Arizona/Oregon/Gonzaga seem to be playing well on the hardcourt.
                We've been a badly coached team since day 1 under CAE.

Comment

whats making me pissed off as well is the fact that SC may miss out on a 3rd consecutive appearance in the tourney which has been only achieved once (Floyd, 2007-2009).

Comment

I'd also question our S&T program. I can't say that Stewart, Aaron or McLaughlin look like they've spent anytime in the weight room.

Comment

• TroyAreaCA
                      TroyAreaCA commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That could be applied to the O-line on the gridiron as well. Though the defense/D-line seems to have held up on their end of the bargain in the S&C.

What has happened to this team.

Comment

The team is very inconsistent but they will bounced back like they did last week winning Diamond Classic. It is given our current players are not built to play good defense so need to give 100% effort everytime. We need two-way players like Melton, Usher and bigs who can score/rebound/defend. I think we will get there. My expectation is low for our basketball team - I just want to get to the dance every year. And for USC basketball, that is big achievement. I think we will get there. It is a long season- my half glass full outlook. #positivity2018

Comment

Originally posted by FightOn6665 View Post
                        The team is very inconsistent but they will bounced back like they did last week winning Diamond Classic. It is given our current players are not built to play good defense so need to give 100% effort everytime. We need two-way players like Melton, Usher and bigs who can score/rebound/defend. I think we will get there. My expectation is low for our basketball team - I just want to get to the dance every year. And for USC basketball, that is big achievement. I think we will get there. It is a long season- my half glass full outlook. #positivity2018
                        My expectations were high. I hope they can turn it around.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryUsher View Post

My expectations were high. I hope they can turn it around.
                          Honestly, my expectations were high too at the beginning of the season. But when Melton was suspended and deemed ineligble, I had to re-set my expectations.

Melton - willing defender, solid defense
                          Boatwright, J-mac, Metu, Stewart - more focus on offense, and not enough defense
                          Rak, Jonah - love the passion but also inconsistent on D
                          Incoming freshman - got a lot of hype but not much a factor except for Usher (love him from the start). Maybe next year for this group.
                          Thorton - not a good defender from the few games I've seen, and has not contributed much this season. Given he is highly rated and recruited, I expect him to play to his potentiial offensively later in the season.

That is my assessment with our D. Without Melton, our second leading rebounder in the team, best individual and team defender, this team will always give up tons of points. However, with more effort on team D esp with upperclassmen, I think we will win more games and hopefully get into the tourney. That will be a new season, and anything can happen. I will be there when they do. It is a very disappointing start but I have confidence with the team and Coach AE, and his staff will Fight On!

Comment

Working...
                          X