X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swann

Can anybody tell me what good he has accomplished so far?

No.

Comment

To be fair, he did prevent Jason Hart from going to Washington to join Mike Hopkins' staff.

Comment

USC's problems go far beyond the athletic director. It's their hiring practices and what they value in athletic employees.

Garrett, Haden, Swann...notice any trends? All Trojans. How about the football coach? Same thing. But I know why. It's what SC's donor base demands. SC values unimportant things when it comes to selecting a football coach....such as familiarity with the program/university, saving a recruiting class/having local recruiting ties, and how well they get along with the media. Drives me crazy because none of these things are important. Let's examine these one by one...

1. Familiarity with the program - When the SC football head coaching job opens up, they almost ALWAYS end up promoting an assistant or bringing back a former assistant. I believe, HoJo, Carroll, and Larry Smith are the only ones who do not fit this bill....at least since 1920, about 100 years! Why a top 5 all-time program, a traditional powerhouse that's willing to pay top dollar settles so low is beyond me. It was super obvious SC was gonna go with Kiffin and Sark after Carroll, even though they never showed a damn thing while at SC and had no resumes prior to Pete vaulting them to the most prestigious assistant job in college football at the time (USC coordinator). It's as if familiarity and connections to the university trump actual talent. For whatever reason, SC alums, employees, students, fans, and anyone else who likes the school can't seem to handle outsiders. And it's preventing SC football from ever reaching it's true potential. It's as if a prerequisite for the coach is knowing that SC's 1972 team was really good and that they must know where Deadeaux Field is and immediately know the words to Fight On! by heart.

2. Saving a recruiting class/Having local recruiting ties - Sort of ties into point #1. First, why on Earth wold you invest millions of dollars and several years of the program to save a class of 18 year olds, many of which will likely stick with SC regardless of who the new coach is? Makes no sense! And the new SC coach will likely have some familiarity with the local recruiting scene because everybody recruits California. Further, even if he doesn't, he will quickly become well-known in local recruiting circles as the SC head coach. It isn't that hard or that time-consuming. All the local top prospects already know a lot about SC. And recruits don't have a problem going away to school anymore. It's not like it used to be. Bottom line is the new head coaching search shoudn't take the current recruiting class into account. And the recruits should fit the coach's system, not the other way around. I'll take a roster full of 3 stars coached by Chip Kelly over a roster full of 5 stars coaches by Darth Goatshit Kiffin any day.

3. Media Relations - Anytime the football coaching job opens up, one of the main things talked about is the USC coaching being "energetic", "a good face for the program", "can handle the media", etc. And every time USC's proximity to "Hollywood" is mentioned. THIS IS UNIMPORTANT. I cannot think of anything less important than whether or not Bill Plashke or ESPN 710 or whoever likes the USC coach. Saban is surly jerk. So is Urban Meyer and Bill Belichick. Do the Alabama fans care as they rack up title after title? NO! Of course not! But USC is "close to Hollywood. It's different here." WHY? Who the hell cares if Paramount Studios and ESPN's headquarters are nearby? Imagine if Saban was at SC doing what he's doing at Alabama. Not a single SC supporter would care if he were a dick to SC's beat writer. Jesus.

If I'm SC's AD, I want a talented coach that has shown something at another school, a bright offensive or defensive mind who runs modern collegiate schemes and surrounds himself with quality assistants. Thats it. Chip Kelly should have been handed a blank check by SC's athletic department as he was sitting in the analyst's booth.

As for basketball, I'm sorry to say nobody cares too much at SC about basketball. It's hard to get a big name to come here as SC won't pay top dollar for a hoops coach and even then, a lot of those types have options. Think Greg Marshall or Shaka Smart. At the time those were the hottest names in the country. It was too late for SC. SC needs to get those guys before they become huge names. But SC would never do that. They won't spend the time and resources needed for an all out search and besides, if the coach "doesn't get SC then SC probably won't be interested (see football). I thought SC should've made a run at Frank Martin when he was looking to leave Kansas St. I don't even think Enfield was a bad hire. Not at all. Pretty good, in fact. SC took a chance on a guy who got hot in March with an exciting brand who wasn't getting a lot offers. He would put together a good staff. SC needed to be rebuilt in the worst way. Enfield has done that. I just don't think he's the guy to get SC into the Florida, Oklahoma, Notre Dame range which is where SC could be. And what are our options if SC fires Enfield? Anyone think they conduct a real search for an elite up and coming talent? Nah.

And the truth is SC basketball is also cursed. They just are.

It wll be really hard to break out of this because SC's donor base demands these sorts of things. They want a football coach who is familiar with SC's campus and has a smile on his face when he does interviews. Cause hey, we're near Hollywood! *vomit* And sadly, I know like 2 people that really care about SC basketball so there's no sense of urgency or strong desire to see the school reach it's true basketball potential. How many people do you guys know that are really into the program?
        Last edited by FireClayHelckett; 01-10-2018, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FireClayHelckett View Post
          And sadly, I know like 2 people that really care about SC basketball so there's no sense of urgency or strong desire to see the school reach it's true basketball potential. How many people do you guys know that are really into the program?
          Well, there 4 of us who met out in front of section 113. So that’s at least double.

Comment

Originally posted by FireClayHelckett View Post
            I don't even think Enfield was a bad hire. Not at all. Pretty good, in fact. SC took a chance on a guy who got hot in March with an exciting brand who wasn't getting a lot offers. He would put together a good staff. SC needed to be rebuilt in the worst way. Enfield has done that. * * * And what are our options if SC fires Enfield? Anyone think they conduct a real search for an elite up and coming talent? Nah.
            Totally agree with this. For those calling for CAE's head, as a practical matter, who do you realistically think SC is going to replace him with, and would that new coach be better or worse than CAE? I'm not saying CAE doesn't have his flaws or doesn't have room for improvement -- we all do, in our respective professions, don't we? And, yes, I would like to see improvements. But why not be patient, give him time -- and a season or two more without the distractions of unexpectedly losing a key assistant coach and one of his best players -- and see if he may actually be that diamond in the rough some believed he would be when SC hired him.

Continuity is one of the hallmarks of building an elite program. Does it really make sense to fire a guy in his fifth season, who (so far) has resurrected a program ravished by sanctions (OJ Mayo), lacking in talent and consistently finishing at/toward the bottom of the conference, and turned it into a team that has made two straight NCAA appearances -- and, I believe, easily would have been on its way to a third were it not for the Bland/Melton distraction? Oh, by the way, all at a school where football is king and the fan base can't even reliably fill the seats at its home arena. What "elite" coach is realistically going to want to come to a situation like that???

Comment

Originally posted by phear_sc View Post

Well, there 4 of us who met out in front of section 113. So that’s at least double.
              Count me in as the 5th. I moved away from Southern California more than two decades ago, but have consistently followed the team over the years -- even during the dark years of Parker, Saia, O'Neill, and Cantu, I still rooted for (and will continue to root for) my team.

Fight On!

Comment

Count me in as the 6th...and there are a few more that sit by me in Sec 117..

Comment

Working...
                X