X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De'Anthony Melton done for the season

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...111-story.html

The actions of USC here -- if no public comment is made -- are HIGHLY irregular, and, quite frankly, improper.

Unless there’s a whole lot of something we don’t know this is spineless conflict avoidant behavior. They are starting to show a pattern of sacrificing their young male athletes for political and image reasons.

This is NOT the Trojan way.

Comment

We’re gonna take a major hit with recruiting. Thanks, Swann.

Comment

Would like to wait for an announcement from USC before judging but, that said, the university will be completely mum about the whole thing.

Comment

What a joke. If there is no statement or proof of wrongdoing, then I'm done too.

Comment

They released a statement. USC has not stated that Melton received improper benefits, but instead that they investigated the receipt of benefits, and decided that Melton cannot compete based on that investigation. This could very well be a case of USC investigating, finding nothing to prove or disprove Melton's family friend receiving benefits, and holding him out to protect their image. Sexton's family member received benefits, and was only held out one game. Compliance should be ashamed.

Comment

I talked to one of donors after the game. I was told that she was informed privately by administration that USC is going to self sanction. I wasn't exactly sure what that meant at that time. Well, D-Melt being ruled out of the season I hope is the only self imposed sanctions. I agree with everyone here - what violation has he committed. Unless there is something else going on that we don't know as Phear_SC mentioned. Hopefully it will work out in the long run for the program. We take a big hit this year, and NCAA don't give us any additional penalty for what Coach Bland did, and action of DMelts family friend Elliot. Coach Bland potential violation is another issue we have to deal with. I have a feeling that our Compliance are sacrificing Melton's eligibility now for that to show good faith to NCAA compliance. I feel sad for our team, esp for Melton - he is great kid. But hopefully team will Fight On!

Comment

If he drops in the draft because they ruled him ineligible, can he sue the school for lost wages?

Comment

Is there anyway for DeAnthony to fight this?

Comment

Anyone know why Sexton was cleared and Melton, Wiley and Purifoy weren't?

Comment

Originally posted by eeks2284 View Post
                      Anyone know why Sexton was cleared and Melton, Wiley and Purifoy weren't?
                      Person was directly involved with paying the players at Auburn. Wiley and Purifoy knowingly broke NCAA rules with Person basically telling them not to tell anyone because he knew his actions were against the rules. The case against Person's is much stronger than anything against USC, Bland and Melton.

Alabama just made a unilateral decision to clear Sexton. They didn't go digging for something and decided to shut the door on the investigation immediately, which ultimately made everyone even forget they were part of it. Remember the NCAA only wants to make a statement when their is pressure from outside forces.

USC made a horrible decision here. They continue to make this a front page story when other programs have made it an after thought.

Comment

Originally posted by FightOn6665 View Post
                        I talked to one of donors after the game. I was told that she was informed privately by administration that USC is going to self sanction. I wasn't exactly sure what that meant at that time. Well, D-Melt being ruled out of the season I hope is the only self imposed sanctions. I agree with everyone here - what violation has he committed. Unless there is something else going on that we don't know as Phear_SC mentioned. Hopefully it will work out in the long run for the program. We take a big hit this year, and NCAA don't give us any additional penalty for what Coach Bland did, and action of DMelts family friend Elliot. Coach Bland potential violation is another issue we have to deal with. I have a feeling that our Compliance are sacrificing Melton's eligibility now for that to show good faith to NCAA compliance. I feel sad for our team, esp for Melton - he is great kid. But hopefully team will Fight On!
                        Unfortunately, we've already seen this movie before.

Wishful thinking has never gotten us anywhere.

Comment

The athletic department needs a complete overhaul new blood. The president of the university should have been fired by now as well given the keck disaster but he is still making 3.2 million a year while a 19 year old kid can't play basketball because someone he knows may have taken a few grand?

Comment

Originally posted by sportsinformationdirector View Post
                            The athletic department needs a complete overhaul new blood. The president of the university should have been fired by now as well given the keck disaster but he is still making 3.2 million a year while a 19 year old kid can't play basketball because someone he knows may have taken a few grand?
                            bingo. It’s a flaud system. Just goes to show us all how screwed up the NCAA is as a whole and how even more screwed up our Athletic Department is in backing up their student athletes.

Comment

The problem is the players have no representation, its Nikias way or the highway. The NCAA should form some type of organization to represent the players

Comment

Working...
                              X