X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Choke Job! Again & Again

Bye Bye NCAA

This is not a trend enfield doesn't know how to close games. We should be in first place hands down. Remember Washington two years ago they blamed it on jmac being young no. When you have a 9 point lead all you have to do is run clock and get a decent look. They play to loose enfields system doesn't work in tight critical games

Comment

They looked like a bunch of deer in headlights at the end there. Where is the experience and leadership to close out games like this?!? Second game in a row! WTH!

Comment

Originally posted by sportsinformationdirector View Post
        This is not a trend enfield doesn't know how to close games. We should be in first place hands down. Remember Washington two years ago they blamed it on jmac being young no. When you have a 9 point lead all you have to do is run clock and get a decent look. They play to loose enfields system doesn't work in tight critical games
        Even shot clock violations and pressing the inbounds would have sufficed.

Comment

Originally posted by SCjohnny21 View Post
          They looked like a bunch of deer in headlights at the end there. Where is the experience and leadership to close out games like this?!? Second game in a row! WTH!
          it was disgusting. 9-0 run over last 2:27. they had to try to lose that game and they did so.

not killing a kid but this is fact: bennie's effort late and decision making are very concerning. i know that he doesnt move well but his effort on defense, especially in close outs and around the basket, are not strong efforts. his dribbling turnover with 2 minutes left was the dagger...but after that...he doesnt box and ends up being called for a travel....is then lazy with the basketball on the next possession which ends in a hasty shot. after the ensuing game tying lay up, the offensive execution was horrid yet again with another clear out and hero ball manuever (come on, metu. look up. 4 guys around you and you pick up the ball six feet away from the basket). finally, enfield switches to man on the final possession resulting in awful p/r defense and a simple bank layup for their best player.

in the end...this game was ugly. the refs were ugly (for both teams). usc's coaching was ugly. and usc's execution on both ends was ugly. it's too bad key players had to watch that junk from the bench. the fouls took good, rhythm kids out of this game.

asu couldnt buy a basket from deep and from the line, trailed by 8 or 9 late and still win the game in regulation. again, usc literally had to try to lose that game.

sweet 16 talent, nit bound at this point. armchair coach: enfield needs to use man sparingly, press more (i get it tonight, asu has the guards to break), shorten that rotation (aaron and bennie have done more harm than good lately) to usher/thornton/jonah and only use bennie only when a big needs a breather. finally, he needs to teach these kids to move the basketball and stop the hero ball garbage. do that...and we're golden.

until then...these last second collapses will continue. this team easily could (should) be 20-5, 11-1 in conference. i'm done making excuses.

Comment

We are not learning from our mistakes, we are not growing, individually or as a team. I can't imagine that Enfield hasn't tried to help the players make adjustments. Maybe the players just can't get there. Maybe they'll cross that threshold one day, or maybe not. Very sad for them and for us--a disappointing year..

Comment

Originally posted by rocksteadyusc View Post

it was disgusting. 9-0 run over last 2:27. they had to try to lose that game and they did so.

not killing a kid but this is fact: bennie's effort late and decision making are very concerning. i know that he doesnt move well but his effort on defense, especially in close outs and around the basket, are not strong efforts. his dribbling turnover with 2 minutes left was the dagger...but after that...he doesnt box and ends up being called for a travel....is then lazy with the basketball on the next possession which ends in a hasty shot. after the ensuing game tying lay up, the offensive execution was horrid yet again with another clear out and hero ball manuever (come on, metu. look up. 4 guys around you and you pick up the ball six feet away from the basket). finally, enfield switches to man on the final possession resulting in awful p/r defense and a simple bank layup for their best player.

in the end...this game was ugly. the refs were ugly (for both teams). usc's coaching was ugly. and usc's execution on both ends was ugly. it's too bad key players had to watch that junk from the bench. the fouls took good, rhythm kids out of this game.

asu couldnt buy a basket from deep and from the line, trailed by 8 or 9 late and still win the game in regulation. again, usc literally had to try to lose that game.

sweet 16 talent, nit bound at this point. armchair coach: enfield needs to use man sparingly, press more (i get it tonight, asu has the guards to break), shorten that rotation (aaron and bennie have done more harm than good lately) to usher/thornton/jonah and only use bennie only when a big needs a breather. finally, he needs to teach these kids to move the basketball and stop the hero ball garbage. do that...and we're golden.

until then...these last second collapses will continue. this team easily could (should) be 20-5, 11-1 in conference. i'm done making excuses.
              I agree Bennie melted down at the end. But we are not even in this game if he doesn't explode offensively. I don't think this loss is on him. I'd say it's on our guard play.

Comment

Originally posted by MeltonNotHelton View Post

I agree Bennie melted down at the end. But we are not even in this game if he doesn't explode offensively. I don't think this loss is on him. I'd say it's on our guard play.
                Not even in the game?????????????????

We never trailed the entire game after tying the game at 20, until the final shot of the game.

He scored 18 points on 18 offensive possession (14 FGAs, 2 FTAs & 3 TOs) with no offensive rebounds. The rest of the team scored 60 points on 65 offensive possessions (41 FGAs, 18 FTAs & 15 TOs) with 8 offensive rebounds. His offensive efficiency for the game was actual below the average for the rest of the team.

And, overall, even during BB's 10-point scoring burst to finish the First Half, our team was only +4 in points during that period. After BB replaced Rakocevic at the 8:17 mark, we finished the game -4.

The only tangible net-positive overall effect of his play was having Metu take fewer bad jumpers.

Comment

Working...
                X