X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Know How To Stop Losing Games We Should Win?

I'm bewildered. It's as if our players expect it to happen. No lead is safe. Can you blame the players, the coach? Is it a mental adjustment.

It's hard to watch and I feel bad for the players. It seems they panic. It seems they are trying to wake up from a bad dream but can't. Sometimes a player decides to take matters into his own hands at exactly the wrong time, or make a difficult pass when they don't need to.

We foul, we can't rebound, we turn it over. We put the ball on the floor when we are double-teamed under the basket..

And the opponent, all of a sudden, in the last two minutes of the game, can't miss a shot.

I'm so exhausted from watching the same game over and over. Was this game at ASU just like last week's game at UCLA? We seemed like the better team--we lost both.

I don't know how much more of this I can take...

A win at Arizona on Saturday would go a long way to ease the pain. Another game like this might kill me.

Fight On!

Personnel decisions are 90% of the problem.

Comment

• Mickey Linehan
      Mickey Linehan commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly 90%? Did you calculate that in your head or do you have proprietary software?

USC didn't score in the final 2:28 and committed three turnovers in that stretch. OUCH!

Comment

18 turnovers, 4 by Jordan. Very uncharacteristic.

Comment

• rich24
        rich24 commented
        Editing a comment
        Jordan didn't have his normal steady game... but as a team that has played together...they should know how to control or calm the game down

Originally posted by JayBird23 View Post
      USC didn't score in the final 2:28 and committed three turnovers in that stretch. OUCH!
      This

Comment

Love JMac, but I don't like him this game. As a Sr. PG, I'd like to see him be the closer. But still love JMac. We need a W on Saturday. Beat the Wildcats ✌

Comment

One reason is because AE is a play "NOT TO LOSE" guy. Similar to a coach in football that plays prevent defense at the end of games. In the 3 years that the team has been relevant under AE the team rarely expands leads. Sure against inferior competition they do but not against teams that have decent talent. His teams have waited for teams to get back in the game. That's why every game is excruciating to watch. You would think with Juniors & Seniors this team would have learned how to close out games but they haven't. Not all of it but a lot of it has to do with the make-up of the head coach. Unfortunately, it's human nature and very difficult for a coach to change.
          Second our offensive efficiency at the end of game situations is probably one of the worst in the country. A lot of that is because of reason 1. When we are up anywhere from 4 to 10 points in the last 4 minutes its JMac dribbling the ball for 20 seconds. No movement on offense. No plays called except isolation in the last 10 seconds of the shot clock. Whenever BB or Metu go iso it fails way too much. I'm all for bleeding the clock but you still have to run offense. It gets way too conservative at the end of games with the lead. If they had a stat for our offensive efficiency in the last 5 minutes in close games it would be UGLY.
          Third, number 1 & 2 affect our defense & rebounding because now the team is playing on their heels and passive instead of aggressive.

Comment

Originally posted by JayBird23 View Post
            I'm bewildered. It's as if our players expect it to happen. No lead is safe. Can you blame the players, the coach? Is it a mental adjustment.
            You blame the coach.

A simple solution is better use of late game TO's. There were critical possessions late in the game that CAE should have called a TO to discuss strategy and execution.

1) Right after ASU scored to cut the lead to 5 and started to press. How many times do we commit a turnover when pressed in late game situations. Bennie wasn't sure to attack the press or pull it back and caused the TO that cost us the game.

2) A TO should have been called when the game was tied and USC got the ball back with 51 seconds. A play should have been designed to get USC a shot within 15 seconds. Instead our last play was horrible and we gave ASU essentially the las shot.

Comment

• sirdogz
              sirdogz commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly this: the timeout management down the stretch was incredibly bad. We should have opted for a 2 for 1, no questions asked. It was atrocious.
          Working...
          X