X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Andy Enfield Too Nice?

Andy Enfield said this after last night's game:

They played hard enough to win but as a team, we made too many mistakes,
    When you have that many small things, it adds up in a game like this.
    Our guys played hard and I'm proud of them.
    We're going to stick together and try to win on Saturday.

The personality of our team is a challenge for Enfield--we are very inconsistent. He has repeatedly taken the blame for past losses this season. It certainly wasn't all his fault.

While we were all thinking "not again," Enfield focused on the next game against Arizona (that's a leadership quality even though the last two losses must have devastated him).

As bad as it has been in our last two losses, USC has a chance against Arizona and a win would put us in first place and right back at a #10 seed, lol (Pac-12 gets no respect).

When you look at Rakocevic you see a player who gets better and better. If you went by him wouldn't you say Enfield has done a great coaching job in his development?

Enfield did allude, once this season, after a bad loss, to the nature of his team. I got the feeling at that time he was saying, "I've tried again and again and they just keep doing what they do, that's us."

We believe we have the right coach for USC basketball. We have a beautiful campus, a beautiful arena, we live in the entertainment capital of the world and there is no reason we shouldn't be able to compete with elite teams.

When we hired Andy it felt like USC was going to bring Showtime to the Galen. And why not? We saw what he did a FGC.

This year seemed like it would be special, a breakthrough.

Maybe it still will.

Beat Zona!

Last edited by JayBird23; 02-10-2018, 01:49 AM.

What else did you expect him to say? The effort was definitely there, but the team had too many self-inflicted errors. 18 TOs and 23 personal fouls putting key players in foul trouble, most of which were cheap and unnecessary were too much to overcome. Arizona is a huge game and all of the team's focus needs to be on Arizona.

The team is not playing to its potential and may miss the tourney because of it, but all Enfield can do is work with the inconsistent players he has and keep trying to build a program that can regularly compete with the rest of the Pac 12. USC isn't going to beat Arizona and UCLA for one and done recruits that often. Those teams have tradition and a fan base that cares about basketball enough to show up to home games. So Enfield has to rely on players who buy into the program and want to stay 3+ years, who don't care about playing in front of half empty arenas.

The players wouldn't have come to USC if they didn't believe that Enfield, and his up tempo system could showcase their talent to make the pros. Enfield and his staff identified players like J-Mac, Melton, Mathews, Rak and Usher who are definitely the types you can build a winning program around. Maybe there are too many players on the team who want to go AAU hero ball style and impress scouts by showing that they have a new element to their game that the scouts said they needed to get drafted higher. It's up to the staff to identify that early and adjust who they sign.

Bottom line, Enfield earned his 2yr extension last year and deserves a shot to keep USC a tourney relevant team year in and year out. Will it always beat the blue bloods like UCLA and UofA or go on deep tourney runs? Probably not, but judging by the attendance, there's a huge opportunity to keep building.

Comment

I like Enfield a lot. It's been a tough year for USC in so many ways I can't count. But the years not over and no team in the country seems unbeatable. I'd like to see Rakocevic have a breakout game with 25 points and 15 rebounds. He's def my fav at this point..
      Last edited by JayBird23; 02-09-2018, 11:00 PM.

Comment

People who want to fire Enfield are nuts. He’s not perfect, but we are competing for our first conference title since 1985 with six games to go. Three years ago, no one would’ve guessed that.

Could we get someone better? Sure. Is the AD likely to be competent enough to execute that hire? Probably not (and even that’s being charitable). It’s a risk NOT worth taking, given how successful Enfield has been.

We finally have something we’ve lacked and sorely needed in hoops: a stable, competitive program with a quality roster and recruiting base. Do not throw this away. We need to be patient. This year is disappointing but over time we will break through.

Comment

Good take... that was a weird game. No one has really mentioned that ASU couldn't hit the ocean from the free-throw line. If they made 60% at the line, the game wouldn't have been nearly as close. Have to say that ASU's two ball handlers are crazy-quick with the ball in their hands, and while their 3's weren't hitting in the first half, they made up for it with some high-difficulty 3's in the 2nd.

The turnovers are what killed us this game. Uncharacteristic, but not surprising for a road game.

Comment

Originally posted by MeltonNotHelton View Post
            People who want to fire Enfield are nuts. He’s not perfect, but we are competing for our first conference title since 1985 with six games to go. Three years ago, no one would’ve guessed that.

Could we get someone better? Sure. Is the AD likely to be competent enough to execute that hire? Probably not (and even that’s being charitable). It’s a risk NOT worth taking, given how successful Enfield has been.

We finally have something we’ve lacked and sorely needed in hoops: a stable, competitive program with a quality roster and recruiting base. Do not throw this away. We need to be patient. This year is disappointing but over time we will break through.

Couldn't have been said better. No one is saying that AE is perfect but he has rebuilt the program to where we are respectable, competing for the conference championship, and now expectations are to qualify for March Madness. Kevin O'neil ran the program into the ground with his bad attitude. Everytime I see his sorry azz on the Pac 12 post game show I wanna just puke. Yeah he says all the right "coach talk" but what coach can't?

Comment

Originally posted by G4sc View Post

Couldn't have been said better. No one is saying that AE is perfect but he has rebuilt the program to where we are respectable, competing for the conference championship, and now expectations are to qualify for March Madness. Kevin O'neil ran the program into the ground with his bad attitude. Everytime I see his sorry azz on the Pac 12 post game show I wanna just puke. Yeah he says all the right "coach talk" but what coach can't?
              Kevin O’Neil reminds me so much of Dave Miller (another bozo) who speaks so highly about the x’s & o’s but there is a reason why he hasn’t been able to get a premier gig for a very long time & has been living off his past lol what a jerk.

Comment

MeltonNotHelton G4sc Well said. It has been a weird year for our coaches and players with FBI stuff and losing Coach Bland who recruited most of our upper classman. Team is Figthing On and hope we get in the tourney. The season is not over✌

Comment

Working...
                X