X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanderbilt loses @ Belmont 69-60

Forgive my ignorance but is Belmont supposed to be good/decently good this year?

Belmont is good year in and year out, They played Washington pretty tough at Udub, and that is a long trip for the. Ironically, their nickname is the Bruins. Also, Vanderbilt is much tougher at home than on somebody else's court, even though Belmont is literally right down the street from Vanderbilt. MJD

Comment

MJD,good to see you here. Looking at no one in the stands tonight confirms what we both discussed and agreed upon many years ago. The Sports Arena was not the reason why USC does not draw for basketball. Here we have a top 10 team, a great arena and no one comes.

Comment

I've come to the conclusion that USC isn't really all that serious about sports, not when you consider the athletic success the unviersity has had. It's a total fair weather fanbase. The passion that you see in the south and midwest just isn't there. Even for football unless SC is a legit #1 caliber team. UCLA isn't any different. Their foootball attendance is a joke and you can hear a pin drop in the Rose Bowl. When their basketball team sucks, they draw almost as bad as SC does. It's just that they have 11 NCAA titles, a rich history, and even when UCLA isn't elite, they're still often a Sweet 16 program so they aren't bad too often.

Yes the basketball team is very good right now but SC as a legitimately good program is still in nascent stages. College basketball doesn't have the tradition and pageantry in football does or the tradition of getting together with friends, family, and former classmates on an autumn Saturday to tailgate. The equivalent in roundball is the atmosphere at Duke or Kansas' gym on a Wednesday night with everyone out of their minds. That's never going to be a thing at SC. College hoops is often played on weeknights and many folks simply aren't driving in LA traffic to attend SC basketball. Mayyybbee if SC becomes a Florida like program that goes to Final Fours and is a lock for the NCAA Tournament every year they will start drawing good crowds most of the time but I honestly don't think SC would draw well in a game like tonight unless they are the number one team in the nation. Maybe not even then.

But I don't think it matters. SC is an awesome place with a rich athletic tradition and it's clear elite players are interested in the program. I'm confident SC will draw some big crowds this year for big Pac-12 games. There's zero reason why SC cannot do what Florida, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, etc have done and that's build solid/elite long-term programs. Only problem is we're fucking cursed. Every time the program is building towards having a real program, some scandal arises or the coach gets fired or they just don't keep the momentum up. Hopefully this latest FBI thing won't lead to anything too terrible. The future is bright.

Comment

• TroyAreaCA
          TroyAreaCA commented
          Editing a comment
          I recall in 2003 when #1 USC played Oregon St in the season finale at the LA Coliseum the stadium wasn't even at full capacity, despite the potential of USC's first championship since the 1978.

A damn shame.

Agreed it's too bad. Even SC athletic dept designs it's stadiums for the wine and cheese crowd (e.g. the new Coliseum monstrosity) They don't ever build the arenas for maximum homefield/court advantage.

Yet elite athletes continue to come to SC which tells you just how special a place it is. Education, the campus, the people, facilities, location of being in SoCal (surrounding area not the warzone everyone make it out to be), etc. Crazy passion for sports is not a thing in LA except for the Lakers when they're good and the Doyers.

Comment

right down the street, check again494 MILES

Comment

Hey AAUSCOUT:

I don't know why you are being malignant, but you are simply wrong, Belmont University Address

Belmont University
            Website
            Directions
            University in Nashville, Tennessee
            Belmont University is a private, coeducational, liberal arts university located in Nashville, Tennessee, United States. It is the largest Christian university in Tennessee and the second largest private university in the state. Wikipedia
            Address: 1900 Belmont Blvd, Nashville, TN 37212

That is the team Vanderbilt played, It is right down the street. If you want to call me out, at least be correct. You CHECK AGAIN.

Comment

MJD, I’m glad to see you posting here. Always enjoy your input.

Comment

Originally posted by michaeldavidson View Post
                Hey AAUSCOUT:

I don't know why you are being malignant, but you are simply wrong, Belmont University Address

Belmont University
                Website
                Directions
                University in Nashville, Tennessee
                Belmont University is a private, coeducational, liberal arts university located in Nashville, Tennessee, United States. It is the largest Christian university in Tennessee and the second largest private university in the state. Wikipedia
                Address: 1900 Belmont Blvd, Nashville, TN 37212

That is the team Vanderbilt played, It is right down the street. If you want to call me out, at least be correct. You CHECK AGAIN.

I think he confused with Belmont College in Ohio.

Comment

Working...
                X